HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

What mileage did you end up with Ben? I've got a cold so I'm staying in. A couple people I know are doing 55 miles tomorrow and I want to go.

Transferred the tubular wheels today. I will miss those wheels but it really didn't make any sense to keep them at all. This way they pay for 2/3 of the new ones.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/432650514

The ride ended up being 38.27 miles with 2,831 ft of elevation gain

The heart rate stats were interesting to me: in total, roughly 1hr was spent in tempo and 1hr was spent at threshold. On the power side I had a good amount of active recovery and the rest were fairly evenly distributed. Other details: 0.992 IF, 259.8 TSS, and 174W NP (vs 175W FTP recently tested). I guess that feeling of a tough challenge was warranted! :D

edit: I lied, I was looking at the HR stats and not the power zone distribution; whoops! Corrected my post...

Edited by Nebby
  • Like 1

just got the Garmin heart rate monitor, dont know why i didnt do it earlier

first, either i'm using this thing wrong or anyone with over a 44" chest is going to need an extension for this thing to be comfortable

I came up with an interval workout based on heart rate with some CrossFit-ish elements; with moderate resistance, maintain 80 cadence until HR exceeds 180, then rest 3 minutes; goal is max distance in 30 minutes total elapsed time. It worked pretty well, i'm interested to see max distance increase, but what i don't know if this serves as a benchmark or something that will lead to improvement. I may tweak it and reduce the rest periods, or increase the HR threshold to 190

edit: the link http://www.strava.com/activities/108463369

Edited by justin

Looks like a short version of Sufferfest revolver in terms of the speed. You might get better recovery during rest periods if you switched to an easy fast spin around 90 cadence instead of completely stopping (if that's what you're doing).

Have you checked out trainerroad.com? Even without a power meter the training plans are quite helpful. Most of them line up well with the training strategies I've been reading about in the Friel book and the sweet spot base plan is similar to the time crunched cyclist plan.

Tour of Sufferlandria starts today, kicking off with a 20min FTP test. Ought to be an intense session on the trainer tonight :)

Edited by Nebby

Looks like a short version of Sufferfest revolver in terms of the speed. You might get better recovery during rest periods if you switched to an easy fast spin around 90 cadence instead of completely stopping (if that's what you're doing).

Have you checked out trainerroad.com? Even without a power meter the training plans are quite helpful. Most of them line up well with the training strategies I've been reading about in the Friel book and the sweet spot base plan is similar to the time crunched cyclist plan.

Tour of Sufferlandria starts today, kicking off with a 20min FTP test. Ought to be an intense session on the trainer tonight :)

i tried the same thing again today just to see if there was any progress before i make changes. i went 4.9mi in 27:35 instead of 4.7mi in 30:00. it took 6min to reach HR 180 instead of 5. the problem was i finished an interval at 27:35 and then was supposed to rest 3 minutes when i had a 30 minute limit. i need to figure out how to solve that problem..

Edited by justin

Damn, how do you hit 180 bpm at 80 cadence? My legs would be blown by then! That being said, I can't stand staying below 85 for extended periods of time, especially under some effort. If I'm gonna grind, it's gotta be over 90 or so or else my legs will just give out.

i dont know, i have no idea what my power output is. i guess i could borrow power pedals and check a bunch of cadences/gears?

i dislike higher cadence, i feel like my legs are flopping all over the place - at least at any resistance that i can do for a long period of time. i'd like to try to get to 90 at the current resistance, but its a long way from 80

You can look up the power curve for your Rock and Roll to see approx how much power you're pushing at a particular speed.

They say the Kinetics have an accurate road feel but I disagree. Per the chart, 20mph requires 258 watts - I'm pretty sure I can get to 20 mph with waaay less then 258 watts.  

I believe the chart assumes a 165 lb. rider. I think I used the wrong term, I meant to imply that the Road Machine is a little off in it's power curve in relation to the power curve I personally experience on the road. I really didn't mean "road feel". In any case, I'm now considering a Wahoo Kickr but it's just so fucking expensive!

Rode 43 miles solo in the cold this morning. Started around 45 degrees and ended around 57 degrees. I actually felt comfortable, my 93 cent walmart full finger gloves and DZ Nuts embrocation kept me warm. I did this ride with the intention of building base miles so I didn't ride until my legs fell off, I tried to keep it light-ish and just attacked my favorite parts of the ride within reason :)

Found the link and you're right, they did assume 165lbs...but I think the key factor is that they assume the rider is going up a 1% grade. Even without wind, that's going to require more power compared to a truly flat road. Playing with some online calculators it seems that's roughly a 80 watt difference, which would probably account for the difference in feel compared to truly flat.

With Tom’s help, we have been able to create an “average” rider assumed to be 165 lbs, riding a 23 lb bike with 170mm crank arms up a 1% grade, at sea level with no wind on rough asphalt... etc. The “outdoor ride” that we reference in the PDF is based on this “average” rider. Tom was then able to calculate how much power it would take for our average rider to maintain a given speed.

Grats on getting a nice ride in! It's currently 3pm and it's still 29F outside, so I'm going to stay inside and give the first stage of the tour of sufferlandria a try. It's the rubber glove ftp test today, followed by ISLAGIATT tomorrow.  :-X

Edited by Nebby

Yeah, it affects resistance but so does the tire wear and the psi of the tire. Basically you try to keep as much constant as possible and it'll be good enough for self-comparison.

Tour of Sufferlandria Stage 1: Complete

I vastly prefer the 2x 8 minute test over a 20 minute test; that was a very long 20 minutes. On a more positive note...I've gone up 3 watts in three weeks! :D

Edited by Nebby
  • Like 1

http://www.trainerroad.com/tour-of-sufferlandria

You need to be subscribed to trainerroad. A power meter isn't required, though you do need an ANT+ usb adapter for your laptop for it to read the data from your sensors. You don't need the sufferfest videos themselves, but they do make the time go by much better.

Trainerroad has a 30 day no questions asked refund period as well, so if you don't like it you can get a refund...

i reset the resistance so i would have a standard, set it to 2.5 turns not sure where it was before. feels about the same. this time went 8 minutes to reach 180bpm, rather than 6 yesterday and 5 on thursday. those last 2 minutes watching the HR creep up from 175 to 180 really sucked and wanted to puke during the rest. but, hit 0.9 miles more than 2 days ago, or in calories 158 vs 135