HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

What's it got for gears/shifters on it? I fixed a friend's mtn type bike that had 7 speed Shimano.

It was the type that the click shifter and brake lever were built into the same assembly, and his would not shift in front either. I did take his apart (near parts explosion), but later figured out it was just solidified lube causing the problem, and probably could have fixed it with a bunch of WD40 or similar. Once I got it cleaned out, I just re-lubed it with some Superlube, and still working fine several months later).

It's equipped with Shimano 100gs parts.

I had cleaned and re-lubed the shifters when I replaced the cables.  

Screwing the barrel adjuster on the shifter all of the way in and backing it out 2 turns and then re-adjusting the cable (forgot that step when I installed the FD cable) helped but it still slides back to the middle chainring.

Noticed quite a bit of side to side slop in the crank so I'm thinking will need to clean and repack those bearings for it to get any better.

Prolly a new chain to...

Put in 100 miles this weekend. Had a pretty good ride today - 64 miles - longest solo ride for me ever. Came across this Chris Froome looking fella early on and I thought he would drop me in less than a mile but I ended up trading pulls with him for 5-6 miles before he went a different way. I was definitely riding beyond my means so it was good that he didn't stick around much longer. Overall a good weekend of riding, I definitely prefer to suffer in the heat :)

u9y5avyr.jpg

Edited by raffy
  • Like 4

It's about damn time it showed up.  Of course tomorrow the highs are predicted to be back in the low 50s but it's supposed to rebound again before the end of the week.  If the winds don't kick up too much this afternoon the ride home should be glorious. 

Going to try to get out on the bikes this weekend.  I also need to shop around for a new commute bike.  Might head over to Chris' store to see if they have anything.  I also found Bikekinetic over by one of the Guitar shops that carries Salsa and Surly.

I was actually thinking Cross Chek SS from Surly or maybe a Karate Monkey so it could be used for light MTBing as well.

Maybe I can go all safety and buy this carbon belt drive Trek.

00o0o_7K1SsNPJuar_600x450.jpg

Edited by VPI

I am pretty sure I looked into taking a bike at one time, but it seems like the number of trains that have the walk on service is pretty limited.

I am definitely going to try to ride some this weekend, but nothing serious.

Well, after all our prep and tearing down bikes to fit in the back seat and putting them back together we get there, and I forget our gear bag. I turn around, get it, get back with ten minutes left and the bottom drops out. We postponed our family Tour de Cure ride for safety for the kids and are chowing down on the burgers and frilled chicken and popcorn, listening to live music, and enjoying the rest of the event.

We're coming back one day soon to do it in the dry, but we are going to ride around under the huge covered pavilion, then maybe play in the bouncy house.

We'll salvage the day.

**BRENT**

Went and rode a Cannondale Bad Boy 1 today.  Pretty nice bike for my commute option.  Little bit of a front suspension with lock out but basically a minimalist setup with Deore and SLX and upgraded hydraulic disc brakes over the 5's Avids.

I have not really found anything in the shops that is well built and basic.  The Shinola bikes are really well made but goofy looking.  They actually ride really well.