HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Really was a great ride at a pretty good pace.  I set 77 PRs this trip.  ;D

Chris went and put on heavier wheels since we last rode and has mad cow disease or something and I still could not keep up with him.  

• Like 2

That really was a great ride. I could certainly do with making that a fairly regular thing.

In case anyone is wondering: I believe I have hand, foot and mouth virus which I got from the kids. It is rather unpleasant. A fairly bad cold with bouts of fever and sores in your mouth.

Edited by Dreadhead

Went for a long ride with a few climbs today. Pretty fun, though hr monitor died on me about halfway thru, so I took it easy to make sure I didn't burn myself out. I tend to be a little overeager with climbs...

Edited by Nebby

Went for a long ride with a few climbs today. Pretty fun, though hr monitor died on me about halfway thru, so I took it easy to make sure I didn't burn myself out. I tend to be a little overeager with climbs...

Mt. Weather is more than some climb. I still have not made it out there.

Trying to choose a Dynamo headlight.

I have kind of narrowed it down to one of three.

Busch and Muller Luxos U

buscch+m%C3%BCller+luxos+-+tout+terrain.

with the sweet USB charger port.

b&m179U,-LUXOS,-Lenkertaster-freigestell

The Schmidt Edelux II

Prototyp_EdeluxII.jpg

Or the Supernova

HL3-D-S-GRY.png

I am thinking Ari might be the only one with a Dynamo but I figured I would poll the masses to see if anyone has any experience with any of these or others.

I am using a Schmidt Son 28 dynamo hub.

When I got the Brompton it had the $40 Lumotec Lyt Basic ("only" rated at 15lux, and about the cheapest dynamo lamp from any reputable MFR) which was brighter than just about any battery light I have ever seen. My only complaint is that the beam was kind of narrow which was a bit of a problem riding along some walking paths - its nice to be able to see the edges.

Since then, I have upgraded to the Edilux 1, and like it a lot. It is more than wide enough to see both edges of a very wide path, and it does shine a decent bit further too. I have mixed feelings about the "senso" feature*, and just leave the lamp on 24/7, but that's kind of a standard thing on nicer lights. 

For city use, or on roads, I don't think you can really go wrong. I am mostly concerned with "beam pattern" and less concerned with total output. If you will be locking the bike up outside, I would think about how it looks to a thief :( Maybe just making it look like its held together with duck-tape will be adequate. 

Although it has not been a problem yet, I wish it had a built in USB charger for some camping trips I want to go on. The majority of my trips are short enough that I don't need to charge anything so it has not been a problem yet. OTOH, this is a nice point for the Luxos-U. The Luxos-U also has a nicer day-time-running-lamp system, which runs the lamp at reduced power. The Edilux is either full-blast or nothing :( 

I would not get the E3-triple for road. The circular beam tends to blind oncoming drivers. The other Supernova lights are nice. Supernova works with their own tail light, where other headlamps seem a bit more flexible. I STILL have the cheap stock Brompton rear lamp, and will keep it as long as possible. People riding behind me say that it is incredibly bright. 

* the sensor is too quick! It turns the light on when you drive through an intersection. It would be PERFECT if there was a 30 second delay... 

Thanks Ari, the shop thinks I just need the Eyc or IQ Premium Cyo so I might just save the cash as I do not really intend to do any "real" nighttime riding, just short trips home from the train or gym.

Does your Brompton have a rack or do you just camp very efficiently?

Does your Brompton have a rack or do you just camp very efficiently?

I camp really light from years of backpacking. 

I don't think I will need to carry much food (I will always be able to stop in a grocery store so worst case is a few meals) so I'm pretty much just looking at camping gear. 

I have a rear rack for 1 standard bike pannier right in the middle, and a front rack for what is basically a gigantic handle-bar bag. 

The combined weight ratings on the racks is a bit less than 50lbs, which is WAY more than I would backpack anyways, so I guess about 70lbs would be a good guess for bike & gear. 

I ended up going light as possible and went with

B&M160TSNDi.jpg

and

B&M323.jpg

for the rack with brake lights based upon the dynamo detecting I have applied the brakes.  Pretty slick and much cheaper than going with the big lights when it is never really all that dark where I am commuting.

Now I need to decide if I will just have the Hub built into the existing Alex DA22 rims or go for a set of Velocity Blunt rims and needing to have the rear wheel rebuilt as well.

Edited by VPI

Well the dynamo wheelset has been delayed as the shop tried to slip in the 490gm Blunts in place of the 420gm Blunt SLs that I chose.  Not a huge difference but I am not trying to make this bike any heavier than it already is.

I might just go pick everything up tonight and take it all to Chris' shop and give up on Freshbikes altogether.

Really thinking about doing some MTBing this weekend up at Schaeffer Farms to go easy my first time on the bike in a long while.

• Like 4

Picked up the bike and gear, Freshbikes is done for me.  I am thinking about just sending all the dynamo stuff back and not even bothering.  I have no need for lights that last more than 10-20 minutes per ride anyway.