HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Geez, I have never had so much trouble getting a set of wheels built.  Chris' shop wants to send my hub and Alfine rear to Velocity to build the wheels so I will be without the bike for three weeks to get a freakin Dynamo installed.  I am getting tired of bikes again.

Schaeffer is not technical at all. A couple of creek crossings is about all I remember.  On long steep climb that you can skip. Might be something technical on the other side of that hill but we never bothered trying to climb it.

Got in a nice 42-mile ride today.  John joined in for almost half then soloed back.  If the weather holds, hoping to get in 40-50 miles tomorrow.  I'm planning for Labor Day in Sebring, and trying to get back to where I was last year.  Figuring I need to be doing comfy back to back 50s by the end of the month just to be in the ballpark.  Dropping thirty pounds wouldn't hurt with that goal either  :(

Any from the HC Cycling Team using a dropper seat post yet?  Thinking about adding one to the WFO.

Yup, have a KS Supernatural on my bike and have ridden a bunch of other droppers.  How useful it is depends on the type of trails you ride and your riding style.  If there's lots of steep technical trails or trail sections, a dropper post is worth its weight in gold.  If you like to ride aggressively and want to get the damn seat out of the way when charging downhill, get a dropper post.  If the trails are fairly tame and you never feel like the seat is in the way when riding tougher sections, there's no real point to having a dropper post, it's just extra weight and one more thing to go wrong and put your bike in the shop.

Makes sense, the extra weight is something the WFO definitely does not need.  The new XC style droppers coming are supposedly about 100 grams lighter than the current crop of posts but still pretty damn heavy.

Edited by VPI