HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Just got home from a short ride, Made it a bit over 5 miles, then realized there was quite a bit more float than I thought.  Somehow, I stripped the threading on my crank arm.  Was able to ride about half of the way back with one leg, but got a pretty nice 2 mile uphill brentride in.  Guess it is time to figure out how to get the arms off the Y foil and swap them over, which was already the plan.

UDdBCKI.jpg

Edited by cetoole
  • Like 1

The Cannondale was built up with mostly Trek takeoff parts.  My dad and I got it bare frame back when I was 15, and built it up with a mix of takeoffs from I want to say a mid 90' Trek 2100 that my dad broke in an unfortunate roof rack related incident and his y-foil as he upgraded it.  The BB is definitely marked Shimano, looks like maybe BC1.37x24.

Edited by cetoole

New Englanders: are you familiar with cycling routes around Old Orchard Beach, ME.

I've found some rides on map my ride and RWGps, but wanted to know if there is any familiarity here with cycling the area. Cheers

I was there this past week. There some ok stuff, based on what I saw but there's also a lot of traffic. Avoid as much of the waterfront as you can and stick to the rural back roads and you should be able to have some fun.

New Englanders: are you familiar with cycling routes around Old Orchard Beach, ME.

I've found some rides on map my ride and RWGps, but wanted to know if there is any familiarity here with cycling the area. Cheers

Juan ... Southern Maine is more about scenery than serious riding.  If you want challenge, go inland a bit to the lakes and mountains.  Here are some links that may help ...

Maine by Bike  (not really - just Portland area) 

The Eastern Trail - eventually goes from Calais, ME all the way down the east coast. but more of a vision, now.

If you want a nice day, ride from Old Orchard to Casco Bay Ferry Lines in Portland, take the bike via boat to any of the islands - Peaks is quickest.  Then do a 'round island ride, grab food and brew at local island haunt and ferry, ride back home.  

I was there this past week. There some ok stuff, based on what I saw but there's also a lot of traffic. Avoid as much of the waterfront as you can and stick to the rural back roads and you should be able to have some fun.

Thanks Nate, I am going to try some of the routes I found online.

Juan ... Southern Maine is more about scenery than serious riding.  If you want challenge, go inland a bit to the lakes and mountains.  Here are some links that may help ...

Maine by Bike  (not really - just Portland area) 

The Eastern Trail - eventually goes from Calais, ME all the way down the east coast. but more of a vision, now.

If you want a nice day, ride from Old Orchard to Casco Bay Ferry Lines in Portland, take the bike via boat to any of the islands - Peaks is quickest.  Then do a 'round island ride, grab food and brew at local island haunt and ferry, ride back home.  

Gene, those suggestions sounds great. I guess it will depend on how much time I can spend on a bike. I am just staying at OO beach for a few days visiting some friends. I thought I'll bring a bike and see what I can squeeze in.

Thanks again guys!

The Cannondale was built up with mostly Trek takeoff parts.  My dad and I got it bare frame back when I was 15, and built it up with a mix of takeoffs from I want to say a mid 90' Trek 2100 that my dad broke in an unfortunate roof rack related incident and his y-foil as he upgraded it.  The BB is definitely marked Shimano, looks like maybe BC1.37x24.

Both bikes will take an English (BSC) threaded BB. You need to match the BB to the crankset you will be using. As to what tools to take them off, dunno. Old school, it would always be something like these:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/adjustable-type-bottom-bracket-service

Apparently someone determined that that shit was broke, so came up with interminable new fangled combos. You'll have to take a closer look to see what you have.

Yeah, that is a deal. The only thing to be aware of, is that they will ship via Parcel Force. There is a possibility that they will hand off the parcel to FedEx. Usually Parcel Force will relay to USPS. If the parcel goes through FedEx, you can expect to be hit by brokerage fees, with out exception.

Having said that, I did order a pair of fluoro-yellow :D:dance:

I had a pair of Ergo2 in 42 that were a bit tight, so I went with 42.5 on the wire. It seems that the wires per se are a bit wider than the Ergo mold to begin with, so I should be OK.

Edited by CD44hi

^ Very cool you got a set. I'm sticking with my Ergo2 for a little while longer. Likely going to get Bont's next. Next cycling purchase is a CM-1000 camera and probably the specialized aero road helmet because 1gram of extra drag is why my fat ass can't get up hills ;)

Hills be damned!: http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/18/google-maps-app-update/

Edited by Dreadhead

I know, I really liked my ergo2 but after about 2hrs on the saddle the "a bit too tight" became evident. So I am hoping these will work.

Bonts are great. I did have to fiddle with the A1 to get them to fit properly. There are some QC issues with their soles. I had a raised rivet on the sole and had to literally hammer it down otherwise they hurt.

What I really need it to do is sell a bunch of stuff I have around to be able to get a lighter wheelset for the hills. That I actually really need. ha ha.

Anyone interested in Speedplay Zero pedals? :)