HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Another cool looking event I just found:

http://www.sport-vista.com/page/show/837430-event-information

Gran Fondo Virginia down in Charlottesville. Justin should do this and let us know how it is :)

Edit: I signed up for the Back Roads Century because the club is running group rides within the various routes at various paces so hopefully I'm able to hold on to the BB ride for the full century (or maybe the B ride). More clubs should do that, it's a great idea.

Edited by Dreadhead
  • Like 3

Another cool looking event I just found:

http://www.sport-vista.com/page/show/837430-event-information

Gran Fondo Virginia down in Charlottesville. Justin should do this and let us know how it is :)

Edit: I signed up for the Back Roads Century because the club is running group rides within the various routes at various paces so hopefully I'm able to hold on to the BB ride for the full century (or maybe the B ride). More clubs should do that, it's a great idea.

that page says you can do "From the approachable (and reasonably flat) 22-mile Piccolo Fondo, to the hilly 71-mile Medio Fondo and the challenging 101-mile Gran Fondo that serves up 6,500 ft. of climbing" 

then further down it says "The Gran Fondo Virginia offers three routes of 22, 52 and 102 miles."

22 miles, especially flat, is hardly worth doing, 71 is a bit much. 52 could be good if it's really an option.

Ouch Dan. I am glad you are OK.

Garmin Virb arrived today:
post-886-14091871740733_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to trying this out this weekend. Will be riding my other bike.

Edit: One thing to note when buying cheap mounts. Cheap appears to mean "does not include loctite". I was just lucky that the bolts losened up when I was just playing with it not out on the road and dropping my camera on the tarmac. All fixed now.

Edited by Dreadhead

Dan: Glad you didn't seriously hurt yourself! Hope the scrapes heal up quick for you.

Down at the lake for a few days. Forgot all my fucking cycling clothing. So pissed off at myself. Have helmet and shoes and that's it. I guess I will be buying expensive back up gear from the nearest bike shop tomorrow.

Well I've forgotten my shoes before, that was fun :P

Btw, the VIRB was the right choice, the image quality on the Shimano cam is not terribly great. I think it'll work well as a helmet cam, but other than that the VIRB works better for nearly every other purpose (aside from the slightly odd form-factor).

Glad to hear that re the Virb. I guess I will have to wait until next week's century to find out.

I went to the nearest bike store which had some nice stuff but decided a 3 day weekend of riding wasn't worth $200 to me especially when I have so much gear at home. Going to be a fishing weekend instead. Probably not good that next week's century is probably 2x as long as I have done all year.

Ended up buying Ben a early birthday present, he tried it out and loved it. He doesn't like the balance bike we got him so hopefully this gets him excited.

y3e4adeh.jpg

• Like 3

Chris,

I've been having good success with Lily lately using a gently sloped portion of the yard to teach her balance and get rid of the training wheels.  She's got the blue version of that bike and I think one size larger.  Andrew hasn't exactly taken to his balance bike either this summer, which saddens me.  I'm guessing next year he'll be on something with pedals.

And if you can manage to pace yourself on the century you'll be ok.  I had just enough time to recover from a stupendiously lazy July and hope to be ok next weekend on my century.  I'll still be pretty watchful to eat and drink more than I think I need to avoid bonk/cramp issues.

Yeah I guess I was overplaying my hand a bit. I'm not that concerned about the century. I've started working out for 40 min 5 days a week for the last couple weeks so I'm feeling reasonably fit (though still 30lbs higher than Thanksgiving last year). Also, I'm doing the ride with my friend Scott and last time I rode with him I was still a fair bit slower than me so I'm hoping that the fact that he's used to the miles and I'm used to going faster will sort of mean we end up in about the same spot.