HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I was nearby to a Performance Bikes store dealing with a Comcast cable box exchange and I folded like a abstinence pledge on prom night and bought a whole outfit of their "Ultra" Elite stuff at 40% off. Still blew more money than I should have and I'll look like a dude who shops at Performance but the quality seems to blow the crap out of my fancy ass Panache stuff.

^ I really really like my ultra bibs.  By far the most comfortable bike shorts I have tried.

Got out at 7:30 this morning with some friends and friend of a friend for an easy ride, ended up getting about 34 miles in before one of my friends hit a huge pothole (more like a split in the road) and did an endo.  Mostly just shaken, but for some reason both of his brakes are stuck in the stop position and we couldn't figure it out why.  Also, he had a pinch flat, and the new tube wouldn't take air, and when I got off my bike and set it down to help, I heard my rear tire suddenly deflate with another pinch flat, and of course my patch glue had turned into gum.  Ended up calling it a day and catching a bus back.  Fortunately the stops were fairly close to where we were and needed to go, so only had to carry the bikes maybe a total of a mile.

I do feel like a real Seattlite now though, as it was raining for 75% of the ride.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/578773923

I tried the gear out with a quick lap of the lake. Very nice. The XL jersey is a bit big but there wasn't a L in the store. I'm going to dig the receipt out of the trash and see if I can switch it out when I get back north.

Edit: It looks like I can.

Edited by Dreadhead

I made this Garmin Adventure of my ride yesterday:

http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/by/dreadhead/virb-playing/

Right now it takes a long time to load but I will cull photos from it and the link will stay the same. I have learned that you don't need a photo every 30 seconds of a 3hr plus ride. I'll need to work out how to use this thing on the road. I'm guessing I'll be using the Edge800 remote functionality mostly but I have a lot to learn.

Video too:

Edit: Updated Adventure and culled a lot of photos.

Edited by Dreadhead
  • Like 3

I went on a fairly hilly road ride Sunday and paced myself to try to keep my heart rate from going too high, but failed at times due to the ridiculous heat and humidity. I think it hit 81F with 89% humidity around 10am...

Anyway, since very slow climbs aren't terribly exciting here's two descent videos:

Chris: if you have any brake cables that rub against the camera, I suggest wrapping the portion that touches it with helicopter tape. While it doesn't eliminate the noise it does seem reduce it a fair bit in my experience.

Edited by Nebby
  • Like 2

You were rolling the high 40s through a 30 mile per hour zone? O0

The speed meter in the video is based solely on the gps track, which isn't terribly accurate; nonetheless I thought it'd be entertaining to add it in anyway. I never hit high 40s, nor did I ever spike to 70mph. :o

Ben's using a Shimano CM-1000.

I should have uploaded mine at 1080p as it looks like crap.

^^ What camera is that?

I used the Garmin VIRB for this ride, because the battery for the Shimano wouldn't have lasted long enough. With the Garmin I can swap out batteries and keep going.

Edited by Nebby

I stand corrected :)

What software did you use? I'm guessing Virb Edit and therefore I have to figure out how to get that far more useful info display than the one I used.

Now I'm looking at a spare battery or two for the Virb as well though I'm thinking that I may just put it power saving mode and hope for the best at my century. The screen is facing the ground and I'd wish it would just turn off all that stuff.

Edited by Dreadhead

Yup, Virb Edit. Assuming you haven't already found it, if you scroll the list of template categories down to the bottom you'll see "Cycling". After you select it, it's got a decent selection of semi-usable gauges. Another option is creating a template yourself by selecting "Custom".

Those gauges are pretty trick looking.  I don't think there's anything similar in GoPro's editing suite, not that I've bothered to try to film anything for a while.  If I get back on the MTB this fall I hope to pick up a "chesty" and film some of those runs and in that case, the speedo probably wouldn't be very impressive.

What's up with the crazy Craigslist photos I keep seeing?

Here's an example:

00o0o_hXgbgvWaLqs_600x450_zpsc99a7866.jp

You didn't know that Tnaig was making Left-hand-drive bikes? 

It worked so good for Harley Davidson that they thought they would give it a try. 

As a consumer of fine camera equipment I find great irony in photos of (stoopid expensive) camera lenses either taken with the phone, or with such thin DOF that you cant actually tell which lens it is...