HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Looks like a beautiful day for a ride.

I got out on the MTB yesterday.  I fully expected that as a result of the recent rain and leaves falling that the trail would be a bit more challenging but it was actually two relatively benign spots that caught me out.  The first crash, about a mile in was pretty minor, just tucked the front end going around a corner and went down on my side.  No harm, no foul.  The second was a bit...more.

http://youtu.be/DFerDHn7Vu0

No major damage done other than to my pride and left leg which got pinched between a rock and the pedal.  Pretty wicked charlie horse that is still swolen today and a nice little spot of rash on the side that prevented damage to the rock.  Otherwise a great ride. 

Thank you for reminding me why I don't ride mountain bikes :)

I know there are people that can ride a season on MTB without a hard crash etc but I'm not one of them and to be honest if I go out I'm almost guaranteed to have a lot of bruising the next day. It's not worth it to me. Of course many other perfectly reasonable people see the situation entirely differently. Nate keeps heading out :)

The bruising reminds me that I'm alive. :) 

That and it's just so much fun to go bombing around the woods.  I used to ride trails around my house quite a bit as a kid before there was even such a thing as a mountain bike.  And honestly, I'd be perfectly ok with less technical trails but it just so happens that this is the closest place to my house and it's not that bad.  I also practice challenge by choice, i.e. there are 5 or 6 spots that I just walk because there's too much potential for a big crash/damage. 

I'm thinking of getting a bike for exercise.  I'd mostly ride on bike trails but would occasionally do light trails.  I'd like a smooth ride so front and rear suspension is a must.  Does anybody have recommendations for bottom of the line suspended mountain bikes.  I'd be looking for used bikes so I guess mostly I'd like recommended brands (both for and against).

Older stuff but high end components. I'd probably take that over a new 1000$ full suspension.

What Dan said about weight and whatnot. That bike probably weighs 26-27ish pounds. A low end full suspension bike will be 20-30% heavier. Not worth it. Even entry level hard tails (1000$ at a shop) are going to be 31 pounds.

**BRENT**

Thanks guys.

@jose - purdy car bone ya got there!

I like them XT dedals.

At least one can walk normally when getting off the bike. Recessed cleats yo.

Yes, I'm more comfortable with MTB shoes. ::) ::)  

Now I'm putting a Rock Shox SID at my MTB >:D  >:D

• Like 1

Sidi Dominators and a pair of Diadora Jalapenos. I also have an old pair of Avocet Mod. 30 touring shoes (worn by Pete Penseyres on one or more of his RAAM wins) that I used to wear all the time before I switched to clipless. Also have a pair of '80s DIadora cleated road shoes, worn about twice in the last 5 years.

<3 you guys. *hugs* I have a feeling I am being shamed horrible in VA for not riding, so I'm thinking about getting out for a ride with Xavier tomorrow (we had a wedding to go to that took up most of the daylight today that wasn't being used for sleeping.)

I'm hoping Xavier (who turns 9 next week; I'm so old) is going to get in to mountain biking so he can be on his school's team next year. We have a new pump track that opened a few weeks ago that's a couple miles away (or can take the singletrack where we have a trailhead to a quarter mile away). I look forward to one day pushing a mountain bike on a trail and cheering him on.

**BRENT**

I got out on the MTB again yesterday and did the same loop as last weekend.  Went much better this time, sadly no video as the GoPro decided that it wanted to be a still camera instead of a video camera (so pissed) so all I got was a single shot a the start of the ride.  :nate: 

Decided to vent my frustration by riding to work today.  It was a balmy 34 when I left the house a little after 6am...