HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Hello guys

What do you think about carbon handlebar?

I´m changing the Shimano 105 (5700) brakes for a pair of Ultegra (6800) in my new bike and a guy sell me a carbón handlebar. ???  ???  ???

Edited by jose

Are your current bars too wide? If so then it could be a beneficial change.

My shoulders are about 44/45 cms, I think the change could be right. ¿? ??? ???  

One claimed advantage is vibration reduction. In theory sounds plausible, but I would not claim that the bikes with alloy/aluminum bars are overly harsh, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. It´s a good idea. My Flaca is made of carbon (frame and fork) but I feel very stiff when I go over a bump. Normally, I use the MTB (with RST and now a RS fork) and I prefer some soft on the bar.

Edit: the bar is a Zipp SL-70 (80€ offer in my local dealer)

Edited by jose

For what it's worth, I read some post by a fitter somewhere that most people run bars that tend to be on the wide side for them which causes basic problems like hand numbness, shoulder pain, etc. I never had issues with my 40cm bars but when I picked up a pair of 38cm bars for dirt cheap, I tried them and they felt a lot more natural. Bottom line, you might be surprised (or not) when running bars you thought were way too narrow for you. 

Thanks Raffy

Yesterday I played with the front tyre pressure, I walked about 20 kms.

I felt a little better but I have problem with the asphalt shabby. My wrists ache a bit if you use the bottom of the handlebar. If I use the climber I´m ok.

Thanks Grawk

If your wrists hurt, my understanding is it's generally a problem with your posture while riding. Try rolling your hips forward and keeping your back straighter.

I moved 0,5 cms my seat and my knees do not pass the end of the rod. Now,I feel a little more comfortable.

Edited by jose

i just discovered this great thread.  lots of helpful info for someone like myself just getting back into bicycling.

i picked up a Wabi Classic for my b-day last July.  steel frame and cuts the pavement like butter at 110psi.  a flip-flop hub, riding SS, and 46/16t gear.   the only components i want to replace are the tires, seat post and ass hatchet.  a cadence meter would be swell as well.       

i've put 500+mi on it plus a few hours a week on the rollers.  i don't have much climbing on the local roads/trails here in my suburban enclave.  i have access literally in my back yard to the huge Elm Creek paved trail system here in Maple Grove, MN.  round trip to my favorite bar is only 10mi.    

after numerous adjustments, i think the fit is comfortable.  the only thing i need to work out are my shoes and cleat positioning.  i initially bought my Giro Privateers one size too small.  thankfully REI was cool enough to allow me to exchange them (i know many members abuse their generous return policy).  my feet are not equal in size and i've been playing around with various sole inserts and sock combos.

going for a ride clears the mind of all the day to day bullshit.  i feel like a kid again.

033_zpsa3ead7f3.jpg

Edited by fishski13

"round trip to my favorite bar is only 10mi."

;D ;D ;D  good point.

Yesterday, I made 30 kms and I used the new Ultegra brakes.

The 105 (5700) brakes are very good but in comparison, the Ultegra is a bit more powerful. IMO the big different is the feel when you take the Shifters. You don´t need apply much force to stop on comparison with the 105.

I think that if you want change a new brake bridge, it´s a very good change but If you have a good brake bridge but with some years, I don´t  know if the change is necessary. You only need replacement the cartridge for a new Ultegra or Dura Ace cartridge because I think that the new compound is very different.

strapped on a new pair of Voler bibs for a 1hr on the rollers today.  my longest ride this summer was only 50mi and my butt felt reasonably fine in the saddle.  with a single speed you're going to spend more time out of the saddle in general to attack the hills, but with rollers i spend much more time in the saddle and needed a pair of padded cycling shorts.  i can ride out of the saddle for short periods but it still feels a bit sketchy.  getting proficient on rollers takes some time.  learning to ride one handed or even turn your head to the side without ending rubber up takes practice.  i wish i could find the youtube video of a guy snorting rails of coke while playing tennis on a Nintendo Wii.    

with a googled 15% off promo code these Voler bibs came in at just over $75, just enough to qualify for free shipping: http://voler.com/browse/product/li/1110521 .  the fit is true.  stitching and construction is excellent.

Edited by fishski13

Yes, riding rollers from the couple of times I rode them requires your full attention!

Voler makes nice stuff at reasonable prices. Another brand that is often overlooked is Santini. My favorite bibs (Top CX) are no longer made, but I did buy a couple of pairs of the Santini GIT gel shorts (not bibs) for pretty reasonable pricing on Nashbar. Like $35. Though I'm not fond of gel, these are fine. I still like the Top CX pad better, but I don't mind these at all. Bibs also available.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_520370_-1___204701