HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

^ Will do. Actually not going to ride it until I'm under a weight goal which may be a while (doing something different than last time and I'm totally stalled out about 15 lbs from my goal). I'm going to drop the Calfee off to get it installed this weekend, going to move the SRAM group set onto my trusty old Giant TCR and then give the old SRAM off the Giant to my father-in-law for him to make into a project bike.

ordered a red eddard

Cool.

I did a Jorah in white, a pair of cheapo tights and was considering a zoom (long sleeve jersey) but in my experience their stuff runs bigger then cycling apparel from other companies so an XL could end up being a problem for me.....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UYYW2X0

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OVSCBO

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KK9MFQ

Another option for cheapo tights =

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MCZQT6K

The middle 50 or so sucked hard.  I simply hadn't trained enough (under 1k total with nothing over 35) and for reasons I can't explain I've never been so uncomfortable in the saddle.  But the last 25 were great, fueled by a strong desire to get off the effing bike and finally finding a pace line that could crank along at 20+.  So, lesson learned, train properly or prepare to suffer.  Overall we managed a sub 6hr time with a moving average of 16.5mph.  Not bad given the climbing.

oh, and my garmin died at mile 87.5 which was supremely annoying.  I'll have to watch that and see if it becomes a trend. 

Great job Nate! The desire to get off the fucking bike can be a true motivator at times.

Just curious, which Garmin do you have that's acting up? My 800 is fried and Garmin offered me the 800 refurb offered to me for 99 bucks or the 810 and 1000 at 20% off. You are welcome to take advantage of Garmin's offers as I bought a 520 locally.

• Like 1

Can't tell for certain from that picture but it appears you're running a Thomson post?

From an old Velo article:

( http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/12/training-center/technology/from-the-pages-of-velo-getting-the-most-from-your-post_267560/1 )

Conclusion

In general, when choosing between a straight or setback post (if your frame seat angle doesn’t already dictate which one you must use to achieve your desired position), a setback post will give you greater pedaling efficiency and more high-frequency vibration damping, while a straight post will give you more flex on big bumps, lower weight, and a more jarring ride on high-frequency small bumps.

When choosing between aluminum and carbon seatposts, our tests indicate that the carbon seatpost will offer more vibration damping on high-frequency bumpy surfaces and more flex for big bumps, while also being lighter; but they are more expensive.

All in all, if you don’t want to get pummeled on high-frequency vibrations as much, avoid zero-setback seatposts and gravitate either toward FSA’s K-Force Light SB25 carbon setback post or toward one with some suspension features built into it. If you’re going to be hitting really big bumps, get a Thudbuster. If you can’t accept the weight or the looks of the Thudbuster and still want some suspension on big bumps, go for a Ritchey WCS carbon post or a Cannondale SAVE Carbon. If you want a light, stiff post, get the Thomson Masterpiece setback.

For smooth roads, pick the Thomson Masterpiece setback seatpost. For bigger hits, like on rough cyclocross or on potholes or big pavé stones, we recommend a Ritchey carbon WCS post. For a long road ride, the FSA K-Force Light SB25 post is our pick, thanks to its excellent vibration damping — it is noticeably more comfortable than an oversized aluminum post, especially on long rides, dirt roads, or concrete or asphalt with lots of small cracks and expansion joints.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/12/training-center/technology/from-the-pages-of-velo-getting-the-most-from-your-post_267560/5#dSLTbovyLwv03fRi.99

Great job Nate! The desire to get off the fucking bike can be a true motivator at times.

Just curious, which Garmin do you have that's acting up? My 800 is fried and Garmin offered me the 800 refurb offered to me for 99 bucks or the 810 and 1000 at 20% off. You are welcome to take advantage of Garmin's offers as I bought a 520 locally.

Wow and yes, I'll definitely take you up on that (switching to PM).  FYI - it was my 500 that I had the issue with.

And yes Marshall I'm running a straight post.  I've been fit for the bike so in theory position is correct but given the knee pain I was experiencing it may need some tweaking.  Basically the back of my knee, at what I would consider the lower hamstring, was killing me by mile 50 in a way that felt very much like cramping.  Weird part was that I was well hydrated (pissed twice on the ride) and tried to do everything within my power to stay on top of that throughout the ride.  I have nearly zero issues riding ~30 miles, just when I stretch it out longer.

I don't think that the seating position/knee issue contributed to the overall ass pain that I was experiencing but I can't rule it out.  What may have contributed, now that I think about it, was the 5 or so miles of really rough pavement in the first 20 miles.  That certainly didn't help, I know that much.  Thankfully the pain didn't last and I wasn't really sore the next day or beyond.