HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I have been meaning to try the Veloflex, but I found the Vittoria also at an excellent price. Are the Veloflex made in Malaysia as well?

Ribble has excellent price on them, if these is what Pars is referring to: Jose, have you tried sourcing them from the UK? VAT already included right?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/veloflex-veloflex-tyres-road-tri-track-folding-veloflex-master-folding-twinpack-2/velxtyrf302

Oh, you're running tubular (sew-ups)? I was assuming you were using clinchers.

It doesn't matter for these brands, both Vittoria and Veloflex offer more or less the same 321tpi tires/quality for tubbies and clinchers. I do prefer the ride quality of the tubbies, but it is not for everyone, I admit. I do the gluing myself, otherwise it is a real expense. LBS around here charge about $125/tire for gluing. It is labor intensive, take old tire off, clean rim, and then do the gluing for new one. So I do not blame them for charging that much.

Edited by CD44hi
added quote

Yes i use clinchers but I can change to tubular if it's necessary , the DT is tubeless ready ...and really I haven´t  any preference on road (on MTB I only want tubular of course).

I don´t found the veloflex clinchers ¿?

Hmmm, thanks. It's a good price Cd44!. Here in Canarias you always pay customs so I need to search a low prices on shipping. I could seek and buy a pair and wait it until burn the Conti.

33 minutes ago, jose said:

Yes i use clinchers but I can change to tubular if it's necessary , the DT is tubeless ready ...and really I haven´t  any preference on road (on MTB I only want tubular of course).

I don´t found the veloflex clinchers ¿?

Hmmm, thanks. It's a good price Cd44!. Here in Canarias you always pay customs so I need to search a low prices on shipping. I could seek and buy a pair and wait it until burn the Conti.

I wouldn't recommend changing to tubulars just to try a specific tire... Going down the tubular path involves setting yourself up with the new system. It is not outrageously involved, but it is a different system. Need the repair foam for side road repairs, glue, removal solution, etc. Most of all, getting acquainted with ripping the tire off on the road if necessary due to the sealant not covering the hole properly. Relevant just to areas with cold winters: I would not recommend using tubulars during the winter. Fuck, I had to change one last winter in 27F weather and I said never again in the winter. So I ride clinchers in the winter. Obviously, not an issue for you Jose, right? What is the lowest temp you get in Islas Canarias?

Also, I thought VAT was a blanket tax in the EU? You still have to pay customs if you buy from UK? hum...

Umm thanks for the recommendation. I know that the tubular on the road is more complicated and here it´s a "strange bird". We have soft winters (nim. around 13º) so I think it doesn´t a real problem.

Canarias is an EU territory (schengen, etc...) but with an especial VAT so If I buy something on EU (on Spain continental for example), I will pay customs... politicians :wacko::(

Ok, I will listen you and I will continue looking Veloflex (clinchers). 68€ is a good price for two Tyres.

Edited by jose
orthography

Clinchers (i.e., open tubulars):

http://www.veloflex.it/products/open_tubulars.asp?lang=en

When I've ordered from Wiggle here in the US, I didn't have to pay customs (or VAT) or anything else. A pair of Conti 4Seasons w/tubes for ~$90 shipped. Arrived in a week. Not sure how this will go where you are, but something to be aware.of.

I used to ride tubulars back when I started riding in the '70s. Clinchers back then really sucked. I used Clement Criteriums (230g) cotton cased tires. Back then, they were around $25/ea., which was expensive for me being in school. Blowing a pair of tires really sucked financially :) I had a pair of clincher wheels build in around 1980 and switched permanently then. I do have a pair of tubular wheels and have used then once or twice. They still ride as nice as I remember.

Ohhh :(, I´m sorry. I can confuse the terms in English. Yes, you are right Mexican. The road tubular is completely closed and needs a glue to stick to the rim, right?

A tubeless tyre is "open" and the glue is a sealant

• Like 1

Interesting. I think that if you have some physical problem, age, or if you are a single cyclo-tourist ( I don´t know if it term in english is correct), I can understand the motor... but in general, I think that the philosophy of the bicycle is other.

I like to suffer while climbing a mountain pass and know that I have surpassed myself. The bike has taught me to beat me and believing in me.

romanticism? stupidity? probably both :unsure:

Hey all,

What do you guys think about the Merida Ride 3000, Scultura 4000 series of bikes?

I currently have a Merida T3 that I bought a few years ago - basically serves as a commuter bike. I ride daily to and from work, roughly 26 km a day - and I'm in quite a hilly neighbourhood. I don't really ride outside of commuting.

I've probably ridden over 3,000 km over the past 2 years I've had the bike and think it's time for an upgrade.

I'm not super passionate about cycling (as I am about audio gear) so I'm not really sure what I should be looking for in a mid-level roadster. I'm thinking carbon fibre just because of all the hills in my neighbourhood. Discussions here also suggest disc brakes are the way to go, so I'll probably include that in my considerations too.

The most I could afford now is probably around $2k Aussie-D.

Edit:

Some links:

http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike15-merida-ride-disc-3000-silk-ud-light-grey-blue

http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike15-merida-scultura-4000-white-black-silver

I bought my original bike from this place and basically went to their site, filtered on carbon road bikes and sorted by price ><

http://www.99bikes.com.au/bikes?bike_options=1336&cat=91&dir=asc&order=price

Edited by Aive