HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

10 hours ago, Mister X said:

I won't comment on the legality of this situation other than to say that LEOs should enforce the law as it is, not as they think it should be.

What's more important is the safety issues of riding two abreast.  Riding a bicycle on streets shared with automobiles and other powered vehicles is extremely dangerous in the best case.  Riding two abreast makes it even more dangerous.  The inside rider is more exposed to traffic and, being side-by-side, has little room for escape.  Thinking that it's OK to ride two abreast because it's legal to do so is passing off some of the responsibility of being safe to other motorists, etc.  This is a terrible riding strategy.

If you ride, please take responsibility for your safety.  Don't leave it to strangers in cars, etc.

Please note that this is my opinion, YMMV.

Thanks, Nate.

On cycling related news, Xavier and I went out for a ride with his new-to-him Garmin Edge 305. (Thanks, Juan! He's really digging it.)

We went out to a park that has a 2 mile paved loop, with another path you can go off on as well. We did a couple laps then went over the bridge and did about a mile on a gravel levee. Memo to self: buy larger-than-23mm tires at some point. We wound up back on the loop and some kids were riding the opposite direction. The older one had the younger one get over to his side, but then the younger kid (on a scooter) jumped out in front of Xavier's path. He swerved to miss him but couldn't. A hurt big toe and some scrapes (on him and on the bike both,) but after some time wrenching (it was a hard hit, and both the stem and the seatpost were 30 degrees out of alignment) we did another 4 miles to get 10 total. It shows 8.3mph and 73 minutes riding, but that was only because we didn't stop it when he crashed. The first half we were doing about 10.6mph on average, which isn't bad for a bike path where there was a lot of foot traffic we had to be mindful of. He's still having trouble getting into the big ring from the small, which is frustrating for us both, but he was able to turn on some speed from time to time.

Now to get a K-Edge so I can get my Garmin back on the road bike (using the stock mount on the mtn bike now) and I can kinda see how fast I'm going without looking at my watch. I was so proud of Xavier for pushing through another 4 miles after a crash. Oh, and if you were wondering, the other kid was fine; didn't get hurt at all. His parents stopped and offered their help and to make sure he was OK for a good 5+ minutes.

I'm SO glad Xavier is into road riding now; it's a blast.
2016-03-06.jpg

2016-03-06.jpg

**BRENT**

Me too, Chris.

Nate, thanks for that. I have it set on my Edge 200, but i didn't know/hadn't looked at his yet. We've ridden daily since Friday, but were on the mountain bikes yesterday and in a rush today, so i didn't check to look for it. I used my Vivoactive to capture my numbers, but it froze up while saving (I thought we were going to bail after the crash, so I stopped it.)

We have about an hour window to ride tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get it taken care of at that point.

**BRENT**

Xavier wanted to go for a ride since the weather let up from the downpours this weekend. I remembered we had an extra bit of daylight, so we headed out around 6:30 to do what we could.

6.66 miles and 66 minutes 6 seconds later (It wasn't planned, but it was pretty awesome) we wound up back home and feel SO much better than had we just sat around and watched a movie. I really wish he would have wanted a road bike 2 years ago when he got his mountain bike; we could have had more fun all along, but still, this has been a blast having an enthusiastic riding buddy.

According to the Garmin, we got 470 ft of climbing in 6.66 miles. That's like, a year's worth for Raffy, right?

12825505_10153526092646589_1027882100_n.

**BRENT**

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Going for a ride. Cool. Xavier flatting? Not cool. Shop not having 650c tubes this weekend? Really not cool. Me forgetting tire levers? :palm: Not being able to find a puncture at all? In-bloody-furiating!

Also, I hate wire bead tires.

We tried to get 15 miles in, but when Xavier had the blow out (that I still haven't found,) we were at 8 miles. Not bad for a weeknight. We were averaging about 13mph with a headwind, so I'm reasonably happy with what we were able to get in before darkness and rain set in. Time to call around to shops for some mini-tubes, or order a bunch from Amazon.

**BRENT**

I can find it at home, but just going to replace all the tubes after seeing how shitty the construction is. I'm tempted to get some better tires for him, but not sure how much is out there in a 650c. Well, I guess I could get him some real tires and put these tires on when we sell it in a couple years.

**BRENT**