HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's being used for a 16 mile commute to get my bike to work. That said I plan to mostly take the Giants (TCR and TCX). I used it for 200+ miles with 2 bikes on it a while back with no issues. There is no security.which is not an issue in this use.

It's $500 that I rather spend elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, MexicanDragon said:

Me > you.

**BRENT**

:rofl:

Edited by Dreadhead

That's fair advice. I have a hitch on the Honda and a hanging hitch rack that fits that I used to use on my Odyssey but would not allow my trunk to open on the Ford (or the Honda for that matter). The 1up is way nicer and would be a great upgrade but is hard to justify the cost if installing this rack takes about 3 minutes.

Edited by Dreadhead

So the rack came and as expected is wonderfully machined and very cool. I am wavering on the return. I have decided to still get the hitch but due to a conflict I now won't get it until the 11th.

First world problems.

Used the Bones 2 to take the Giant to work today and it worked just fine. But it did start to wobble a bit at higher speeds on the way home and interfered with the trunk closing until I fiddled with it more.

Basically down to the cost of piece of mind.

I took my Raleigh RRA (irreplaceable) back to Iowa a couple of years ago on my Bones 2 at 80+ mph (300 miles each way). No problems, other than you have to tighten up the straps after a few miles. Sure a hitch rack is probably better, if you get the hitch mount installed properly, etc.

• Like 2

In an effort to suffer less during the upcoming century I went out and did 51 this morning.  Pretty pleased with the average pace of a bit over 18mph given that I 1) didn't stop for anything more than a stop sign and 2) got rained on pretty hard for the last 20 miles or so.  

I'm also shopping for hitch-mounted platform rack for the Jeep and while there's a lot to like about the 1UP there's stuff I definitely don't like.  One, no built in lock.  Two, at least in pictures, I don't really care for its aesthetic.  Three, fuck me they're $$.  

• Like 3

Nate, looks like you need a Kuat.

http://kuatracks.com/products/

The NV and NV2.0 have an integrated repair stand which should be awesome, and both have integrated locks. The Sherpa and Sherpa 2.0 (the 2.0 definitely has my vote aesthetically over the Sherpa 1) are a little cheaper, have some locking, but no stand.

Here's the comparison chart for all of them. Jeff, Dan, and maybe a couple others have them. When I look around at the shop owners locally, everyone has a Kuat NV or a 1UP USA. i'm in love with them both for different reasons.

**BRENT**

P.S. Nice ride, 18mph is a stretch goal for me these days on anything that isn't Florida-flat, but we all know that the best part of riding is all the buying of new stuff.

P.P.S Did I mention the Kuat is still $$$? At least it looks pretty great. I think lots of the $$$ for the 1UP stuff comes from the fact that it's made in the US; I can respect that. Kuat is out of Springfield, MO but made/assembled in Taiwan and China, much like Yakima.