HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I like both the kuat and the 1up.  For an SUV, I'd go kuat all the way.  On a passenger car, I'd go 1up.   The lock on the kuat is basically useless, but it stops honest people.  With the 1up, I use a cable lock with a beefy padlock, that I keep in the trunk.

The sherpa is a steal, comparatively speaking.

• Like 1

Nate the Kuat are super nice looking but too big and heavy for my use.

I can understand your concern about the aesthetics of the 1up.

I have until Tuesday to make up my mind. I am leaning towards just returning the whole lot after some unplanned fishing expenses.

And I shipped it all back...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreadhead said:

And I shipped it all back...

:palm:

Seeing that you're bad at this, I got a new-to-Chattanooga friend a Kuat NV 2.0 2-bike 2" rack from the LBS near me. While he was talking to the shop owner, he found out that a new RS Reba was ordered incorrectly, thrice, so he got a crazy deal on that.

I'm glad he was able to pick up the slack where Chris failed so miserably.

What fishing stuff are you getting?

**BRENT**

Nate, the NV is the second sexiest rack out there, next to the NV 2.0. At full price, I'd say go with the 2, but for half price? That's fantastic! I wouldn't have known it was used if you didn't mention it was off CL. Very jealous.

I just got home from a ride. It's scary that 90* with a RealFeel of 95 with 70% humidity feels good, relative to the past 2 months.
3532877928673702965%253Faccount_id%253D1

https://www.strava.com/activities/671773128

**BRENT**

Yeah, the guy bought it this spring (from Backcountry) when they were closing them out and used it three times before selling the SUV with the hitch.  His truck doesn't have a hitch and he just puts his bike in the bed now (for shame).  His loss, my gain.  And technically I think you can still buy the NV2 for a bit more than the Sherpa (~$480) if you've got a 1.25" hitch but the 2" version is still nearly $600 thru Amazon.  I paid $350 for this one and it has a few marks on it, but not many.  Mostly cobwebs to deal with and still has both keys with it.

I am going to have to trim one of the front tire scoops so that I can fold it up without using a hitch extension.  It needs about an inch more clearance to lock in the up position.  I'll order a spare scoop so if I ever want to "return it to stock" I can.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So there is a bike race -- The River Gorge Omnium -- with a junior division this weekend and Xavier and I are talking about entering him in it. For those of you with racing experience, there is a 4 mile Time Trial at 8:30am and a 20 minute criterium at noon.

I think he's definitely open to doing one, but both are on the table. If you only had to pick one, which would it be? With 3 hours of rest between the TT and Crit, would that be enough?

TT route

Downtown crit route

**BRENT**

Edited by MexicanDragon

More info: the crit is probably going to be about 20 kids, from 9-14. I talked to him some more and I think we're leaning more towards Time Trial as well.

Steve, like Chris mentioned, he's a bit nervous when it comes to cornering at speed; it's not something we really get to practice since we only have a few turns on our usual routes we can take at speed, and he hasn't been out much lately.

I'll go ahead and sign him up tonight before the late fee hits.

**BRENT**

Grrr... so it seems you have to have a license to race and I didn't realize it. I looked and it's a 200$ late fee, had I done it before 8:30am today. Otherwise, 35$ for the year + 15$ for the race.

I emailed the contact from the race, but Xavier is really bummed about this. I'm hoping I can work something out.

**BRENT**