HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

17 minutes ago, VPI said:

Speaking of crazy ass cold riding, we signed up for a fatbike, beer and chili ride this weekend where the temps will be a balmy 20ish degrees with wind.  Reserved an electric Specialized fatbike for Kasia which should be a cool ride and I am providing my own or borrowing a CF Salsa for my ride.

While I got tons of base layers for Xmas, I need to find something for Kasia.  What are the bike nerd accepted base layers these days, Craft?

Xavier got some Santini kit, and it's better than anything I have, but it's not cold weather stuff.

I'd think Craft or Assos would be acceptably elitist. (Xavier also has Craft gloves, and they're treating him well in the temps we're riding in.) You already know how good the Pearl Izumi AmFib stuff is, and it looks like they do bibs with that, so another though if you can find it locally.

**BRENT**

8 minutes ago, VPI said:

I have the Elite AmFib bibs and they are fantastic.  Just cannot find any I can get here in time for the ride.  Stupid amazon does not even deliver them same day.

So dumb re: Amazon. Call around to LBSes? Possible she could use some TNF or other outerwear like that, with just some other reasonably warm leggings. I've seen people around here riding in TNF pants, so figure there's some snow sport gear that would work until the cycling specific stuff gets in.

Try Google Express too, they may could help you out.

https://www.google.com/express/

**BRENT**

Edit: See if a shop does an accessory discount when you buy the Salsa. Some of mine do 10-25% off accessories, which would get you set up for Amazon prices, get you on the CF FB, and get your lady friend all decked out.

Also, with the CF FB you're looking at, I'm interested to hear the Dillinger 5 vs studded Dillinger 5 comparison.

Edited by MexicanDragon

Trying to decide at my shop between:

BK6407.jpg

and

17muklukcarbonx1side_1024x1024.png?v=147

Both are Full SRAM X1 but the ugly ass red white and blue one is a light weight XC year round kind of fatbike while the green one is more winter with some trail riding the rest of the year.  

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1

Well, are you keeping the Fatboy or no? If you're keeping it, go BG (I thought this was OOS, btw).

If you're not, then go Mukluk and then get a 27.5+ full squish for summer.

You get to ride a BG and ML back to back yet?

**BRENT**

Edit: Really, just get the one you think looks cooler. If you go BG, make sure it will fit your studded Dillinger 5s.

Edit2: It's X1, not XO1 on those. The Mukluk X01 is super sexy, IMO... but then again, I'm a sucker for black and blue.

Edited by MexicanDragon

The X1 Beargrease is all that is left, but that color scheme just does nothing for me.  The studded Dillinger 5s really only measure out around 4.2 inches on 80mm rims so they should fit on either unless the rims on the Salsas are weird.

• Like 1

Bummer that the Mukluk doesn't have the Whiskey Carbon rims, but unless you can get an XO1 Mukluk, it's looking like the X1 version is going to be the way to go for you over the BG. I kinda like the BG look, but it's not my fav of the Salsa stuff.

The brakes on the Muk are also a nice little step up from the BG.

**BRENT**

Edit: Looks like the BG tops out at 26x4.6" tires on an 80mm rim, so it may be a tight fit. You know you're good on the Mukluk, since it comes with D5s stock. It also will take 27.5+ wheels/tires, so that could possibly be a fun, rigid hardtail in the winter if you wanted to shed some weight... or you could throw the Warbird wheels on it with some 29er tires and that would work too.

Edited by MexicanDragon

Don't let Brent Trump get under your skin Chris. :)

He's still mad at your 25 BAI raise.

8 hours ago, Dreadhead said:

Colin told me

Hey, for the record I need to defend Colin here! Colin has never seen my penis!

How could he when I had his face pushed into the pillow? :P

• Like 4

Luckily on this ride we did some real mountain biking with logs and drop offs etc. and I realized I dislike MTBing on a fatbike just as much as I did on a full suspension 29er so saved $4k today as the Fatboy is just fine for a winter commute bike, no need for anything more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Luckily on this ride we did some real mountain biking with logs and drop offs etc. and I realized I dislike MTBing on a fatbike just as much as I did on a full suspension 29er so saved $4k today as the Fatboy is just fine for a winter commute bike, no need for anything more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a bit on the advanced side if they have actual log features that aren't bypassable.

At least you like that Warbird, no?

**BRENT**

It was not that advanced, maybe 3-5 12-16 inch logs to clear that with fat bikes was pretty simple, especially for those with front suspension.  Kasia had never seen a MTB trail and she cleared it all with the help of the Levo (Turbo) system.