HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

2 hours ago, grawk said:

Find a local bike shop, look at their hardtails.  Ask the shop for recommendations.  They'll carry 3-4 brands.  You'll want the relationship with the shop unless you want to tinker with the bike yourself.

That's the most sensible approach I can think of. I completely agree with this line of thought, even if it goes against HC multiplicity standards.

Straight up fat bikes, or plus bikes (27.5+ / 650b+ / 29+ (from Trek))?

Fats bikes will have their place, but I think they will eventually fade to fairly niche. Plus bikes, though, seem to have a found a place in the mainstream. They have a bit more comfort due to more air volume/lower pressures, and they tend to have more grip as well, while still fitting into many more bike racks than a fat bike would.

Lots of good options out there for what you'd like.

Also, you can probably get by with just 3-4 bikes. A few less than Jeff, but since you definitely, for sure, bought that trainer, you don't have to worry about your disc brake gravel/cross bike not fitting on your smart trainer.

**BRENT**

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

My wife had actually mentioned the Peloton previously as something she might be keen on, so that's easy because it doesn't go against my account. ;)

One commuter ebike for grocery/beer runs -- it's a big fucking hill and you don't always want to sweat bullets.

Seems to leave room for one non-cheater XC bike.

• Like 2

Muahahahahaha. That's good enough.

I have a couple buddies (brothers) who run an e-bike shop locally, so I've gotten to ride a few. This may be a little small in their largest, but I think it'd it the bill. Faraday Porteur in British Racing Green (or white, if you're one of those people) is a fun little around town bike. Definitely get the Brooks Saddle upgrade if you look at that, and all the racks.
faraday-electric-bike-5819.jpg

And don't forget the important part... whisk(e)y flask holders!
5136655608_13b72a4e1f-1.jpg

https://www.ahearnecycles.com/shop/spaceman-bicycle-flask-holster

Image result for bike flask

https://www.ahearnecycles.com/products/

As far as the Stretch-powered stuff, there are going to be a lot of good options. A dual suspension XC bike or maybe a nice hardtail trail bike, in 27.5+ or 29+, would probably work out well. Looking for something a bit esoteric/bike nerdy?

**BRENT**

• Like 1

Congrat on the brownie points for the Peloton, what a caring husband you are . Unsurprisingly there is a dedicated e-bike shop in Marin (conveniently close to the Marin Brewing Company)

They should be able to get you something appropriate to your needs

http://newwheel.net/the-new-wheel-marin'>http://newwheel.net/the-new-wheel-marin

http://newwheel.net/

I have nothing against electricity. I certainly don't do my woodworking with a hammer and chisel. However, a bike is human powered for a reason. We buy them to exercise, and not have to sit in our living room while doing so. If you simply want to commute or make better time, then an E-bike can definitely do that. My concern has more to do with those of us living vicariously through you. After all, you're Stretch!

So embrace your Stretchiness and pedal your Yeti SB6 XX1 Eagle Turq...

And plug in your Sora Lito E-Bike...

2017_YetiCycles_SB6_TS_Blk_XX1_Eagle-desktop@2x-1200x800.jpg

IMG_8719.jpg

• Like 2

I was just doing a test fit, before opening up the $70 cork pads to actually try it out.  I think I will just stick with the beater wheels on this beater bike as they are bombproof and will handle the shitty roads around here.  Not sure the old MFs are up for Illinois roads.

• Like 2

Does anyone here have any experience using a shim to go down in size on a seatpost?  Hate this rough riding MTB seatpost on the Litespeed and I am trying to decide if I try their Ti 31.6 Seatpost to lose some harshness or just use a shim and have tons of seatposts to choose from.

Just did 5.5 miles in the woods, 500 ft of climbing.  Heart rate basically never dropped below 150.  Felt like I was going to die most of the ride, but I did it, so next time should be easier.  

Made a friend

240ab1114f3e9bb3536a6aab063f39d3.jpg

fa6472bed31f0b59961d31e86cbb525b.jpg

• Like 7