HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

On 6/7/2017 at 10:26 AM, VPI said:

Does anyone here have any experience using a shim to go down in size on a seatpost?  Hate this rough riding MTB seatpost on the Litespeed and I am trying to decide if I try their Ti 31.6 Seatpost to lose some harshness or just use a shim and have tons of seatposts to choose from.

I used a USE thermoplastic shim to fit a 27.2 on my 31.6 on my Pegoretti...worked great.

These are machined to high tolerance from UPVC. They're 100mm long so lots of support and tight fit. Because they're made from a plastic, no need to worry about seizing a carbon fiber or ti post. Might even add a bit of dampening to your ride, but that might have just been from switching to a smaller diameter seat post.

Note that their thinner shims are aluminum and I have no experience with those

http://www.ultimateuse.com/use-components/accessories/309mm-id-shims

Yeah the dampening of the ride is the main reason to go to the smaller seatpost. This bike does not have the full Ti bike feel with the awful MTB teeth shattering post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided to finally put my pig of a gravel bike on a diet. Took almost 2 pounds off the wheels.

a7f98704b96d23baa108e21719e34330.jpg

Glad to find that the 6bolt rotors work great with these particular SRAM brakes.

The hubs are so narrow that my Garmin sensor will not even fit properly on the back wheel.

The replacement caps for the hubs, had to convert to Thru Axle seem super cheesy and are a pain as they are not held in place when the wheel is off and I am trying to slip in the wheel adapter mount for my rack or the wheel when I get it home.

• Like 1

Man are those some ugly Ergos Brifters... bulbous as hell. Sorry, old school here :)

Hard to believe that a smaller diameter seat post would make much if any difference. Maybe time for a different saddle? Maybe a Brooks and take up any weight savings in the wheels :kitty:

Saddle is great. The thick ass seat post is typically the first thing ripped off of Litespeed bikes as the shitty MTB seatpost is massively stiff. I rode a shop bike that had the same frame but smaller CF seatpost and the difference was immediately noticeable. Just that extra bit of compliance is enough to notice, even though my saddle is more comfortable for me than what was on the shop bike, it was a much better ride.

The reason for the massive hoods is the fantastic hydro brakes which make me never want to road a bike with old fashioned brakes again. 

• Like 1

Managed to make it 6 miles into my first ride on the new wheel/tires this morning before having a lovely pinch flat and finding the seat bag I swapped from the Litespeed had everything but the tube I needed to fix the problem.  I love walking in cleats.

• Like 1

Put on the shim and FSA seatpost. Now this bike rides as nicely as I remember the DeSalvo rolling. Shaved a few ounces off from the tree trunk of the seat post I took off as well.

Somehow managed to shave 8 seconds off my PR on my neighborhood climb so those few ounces must have been some really heavy ounces.

585ac9a715e97c181cdf45b39ce8098c.jpg

• Like 7

Hah. Just realized the easiest way to get Jeff to buy new wheels:

"Hey Jeff, I have those Shimano R500 wheels on my bike too!"

On another​ note, been a bike heavy day today. Had a swap meet and bought 40$ of stuff for 30$, then went and ride with Xavier and one of good friends and their family.

accee87071852fc62cce0fc06f1e18b3.jpg
fca538472d9d78dd575d8b7b218577a3.jpg
826de8598e8504cf5de6278bf35f858b.jpg
f069ab65ef16966dd35e93b8a61b5cb2.jpg

**BRENT**

• Like 5