HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

My Vectors are still going strong, even with my fat ass riding on them.

Picking up the Jones bike tomorrow, I believe, and will need to start figuring out how electronic MTB shifting works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Jeff, do you move the pedals around between bikes? I actually forgot they modified the design to fix the pod breaking issue so I guess it's up to you Juan. I believe DC Rainmaker preferred the P1 to the Vector bit no clue on Vector 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wow, sorry to hear about the Vector problem Chris. I have been reading on DC rainmakers blog about the P1 and the main issue seems to be bearings going bad. But otherwise seem much straightforward than the Garmin.

Jeff good to hear on the Garmin going strong for you. These are the V2? On reading about the vector2 the main complaint seems to be battery drain.

So the punch line is ymmv and all that. [emoji12]

I have not posted much here, but still ride. I updated the Di2 bikes to do the sync shifting and I like it. I almost never touch the front shifter any more.
Last September got a Niner rlt9 on close out at Jenson for commuting set it with panniers. Love it.
Also picked up a beater Litespeed, that turned out to be an outstanding ride. Surprisingly comfy.

• Like 2

Chris, the update is pretty harmless as you can select what mode on the shift box under the stem, so if you end up not liking it, just select regular shifting instead of synchronized one.

Jeff, have you checked the Niner RLT steel? It's Reynolds 853, which is decent enough for a mass produced bike.  I got the cheaper aluminum and I think you have the carbon Niner, right? So, if you like the geometry, that is a solid option.. I've heard the steel rides great. Also, if you are thinking higher end steel, custom, Kirk may be a good option.

Jeff, meant to add: If an older Serotta steel is what you are looking for, The Paceline is the place to keep an eye out for one. 56/58ish for you right? What I have is a CSi, outstanding ride. Atlanta is good model as well.

• Like 1

The frame looks to be in amazing shape. Lovely color.

If the grip shift for Ultegra 600 is similar to those of the earlier indexed grip shift for mountain bike groups, it's sort of a drag. Does not gives you any feedback and feels very sterile, i.e disengaged from the ride. Also, 8-speed groups are obviously very limited at the top end. Most go to 23, or 25 tops. Hard to tell from the pic, but seems like a 23 top sprocket. The other thing with vintage groups is that when things brake, it is a real hassle to get a replacement part.

I wish it was available as frame only since Shimano Ultegra 11 speed would look great there.

The frame does look barely used.

That Serotta looks to be in very good shape Jeff. I've never used gripshift (well, other than on my wife's Specialized Crossroads, which I hate). The seller says that he has the original indexed downtube right shifter included. The left is downtube already. You could convert this to 10 or 11 speed if you wanted to.

Cassettes should be available at least to 28, and probably higher with a MTB cassette, but the RD probably couldn't handle it. Because of the braze on FD mount, there may be an issue with going smaller in the chainrings because the derailleur will only slide down so far.

http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/841688-need-lower-gears-8-speed-ultegra-setup.html

• 2 weeks later...

The other Chattahoochee bike is in the house.

Just building it out I can really see zero difference in build quality, welds, etc. between the Lynskey and cheaper Litespeed. Maybe it will be noticeable in the ride?

They use the same shitty stickers, Litespeed comes with better shitty wheels and tires, Lynskey comes with more Lynskey branded parts that I assume someone else makes for them. Both come with average to below average cockpit, though the Lynskey does not have the MTB seatpost.

3434872ebf197d9f1fc232b4270b3a9e.jpg

7db113ad8fbd1506170f1b23516f607b.jpg

654c0fcea3f26276323b78af4b03c90f.jpg

2221c2f3bf27bbc20b9eb8c1e08812ef.jpg

919823d210479900c7220a2d85e4e6fd.jpg

• Like 3