HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

The Specialized Turbo Vado is, as expected, a blast to ride around on errands and makes short work of the (very) steep hill up to my house. Tech and main components seem solid enough but the "afterthought" bits are just horrible for a bike at this price point. Have ordered Ergon grips, a Thudbuster ST post and Brooks saddle to rectify this outrage. 

• Like 2

Did 3 of my normal path rides around the lake this week (6.2 mi).

8904568baeb7c904c411bde785da125b.jpg

Only pulled a biscuit boy once when an old(er) guy's dog ran out in front of me. Managed to unclip and stop, but still fell over. No damage... unlike the biscuit [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Definitely Jeff. The Werewolf ride looks pretty fun; unfortunately I am supposed to meet some former coworkers that night at a new place in Naperville (Pour House?). If that falls thru, I'd probably be up for it.

Is the ride just from the shop to Two Brothers roundhouse, and back?

Google maps shows it as being ~3mi from the shop to Two Brothers via the Prairie Path. If the surface is like the PP (asphalt or packed gravel) I'd be ok with it. Loose gravel, particularly in the dark, would be a problem.
Exceedingly non-HC, but don't have a mtn bike, fat tire, etc. The bike in pic has 28mm tires on it (meas. 26). Used to ride PP with 23s :)

There are some really great panniers out there. I like the Ortlieb waterproof/insulated one I use for groceries, but the Banjo Brothers open top grocery one probably works better as a pure grocery getter.  I really like the mounting systems from Ortlieb, secure and easy on/off. Neither is compartmentalized so that could be a turn off for a general use kind of pannier.

I like the Relevate frame bags on the Jones as well.

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1

I have to say, the Silca Ultimate Hiro Edition is about the most serious piece of cycling kit I have come across. This thing is overbuilt to the extreme and the packaging that it came in puts several $10k+ pieces of Audio gear packaging to shame. To top it off they do not just send a cheesy little Allen wrench to put it together but instead send one of their overpriced but awesome wrenches.

I am reluctant to put this thing in the garage.

42744f208b1cce91fddd50c4aaf8e3c6.jpg

8be52c03f98d99bf5ffa1a04c646403e.jpg
355154478befc82df1369af51f8df2b4.jpg
49f7ffc02bdf89f03a9cc57cb93e52dd.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Silca always made good shit, even back in the day. Still have a couple of their frame pumps and a track pump with Columbus tubing.

Pumping a sew-up on the road to 120+ psi was a workout, but quite doable [emoji4]