HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

is anyone using Zwift? wondering if it's going to run better on a year-old $2k macbook pro in OS X or a brand new, up to date but $600 Dell w/ integrated gfx on Win 10. been a long time since i did any 'games' and not sure if stuff like this still runs like trash on macs

I think Jeff does... my 2c is that you already own the MBP so I'd definitely try it first and it's unlikely that it'd run any better on a super-cheap Dell.  It's all going to come down to graphics performance vs. what you expect.  If you're ok with not running the settings at Ultra odds are good it'll be just fine.  Macs have come a long way with their onboard graphics, especially the MBPs and now use chipsets similar (if not the same) as their Win counterparts.

i have both. the mac definitely has a superior gfx chipset. 

my mac also spends about 90% of its time with kernel_task going nuts, seems to be a common issue. at some point i just need to do a clean wipe but just dont have the time right now. transitioning windows stuff over to a dedicated windows PC is part of that

Edited by justin

Ipad and iphone work fine and also Jeff is right on, you really don't need lots of computer power for Zwift. I have run it on a Lenovo X131e, which is very basic, just one or two steps above a chrome book.

Also, to echo Nate, try it first before making any large expenditures on gear. Some people like the group rides, some like workouts, others like the "racing" aspect, however, it may not grab you.  I do have to say, a smart trainer with variable resistance does make a huge difference on the integration of the game.  The whole simulation is based on your power to weight ratio so how smooth and realistic would depend on how well the power curve of a "dumb" trainer has been estimated (by Zwift), or how good the power is estimated by the smart trainer or a power meter on your bike, connected to Zwift on the phone, ipad, or computer.

Edited by CD44hi

On 10/7/2017 at 9:00 AM, VPI said:

The graphics are basic at best in Zwift. No need for a super computer, I have done it with iPad and iPhone several times. Raffy does a ton of Zwift, not sure what he uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I haven't been around as work has been crazy.....I use my iPad Air 2 mostly for Zwift and it works nicely on it's own or a little grainier streaming to my Apple TV. Zwift is one of those things that's hard to get into at first but once you do a few rides, it's a lot easier to convince yourself to do it. I've skipped weekday afternoon group rides and just did Zwift due to work, weather, traffic or just not wanting to deal with cyclo-fucktards.

Finally got the dyno wheels and lights for the Jones. The new Stan's Hugo fat wheels with Dyno and a Busch & Muller IQ light which is a nice upgrade over the little B&M on the commuter bike.

e01f06030aff456e548dac93668a7895.jpg

1f53c71c88c4f78582c440c18b40ecf8.jpg

e4509faf9fcbb603a61023657893b7bf.jpg

• Like 7

Another inspirational picture for Brent of the Silca being used to pump up the front tire on the R5 so I can use one of my Wahoo smart trainers connected to the gaming computer and 34" G-Sync monitor that I use solely for cartoon bicycle racing while the full Fanatec system sits in its boxes in the attic.  :lol:

c588b3fcde5242e9c8c06e5a8510564c.jpg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 2

Another inspirational picture for Brent of the Silca being used to pump up the front tire on the R5 so I can use one of my Wahoo smart trainers connected to the gaming computer and 34" G-Sync monitor that I use solely for cartoon bicycle racing while the full Fanatec system sits in its boxes in the attic.  [emoji38]

c588b3fcde5242e9c8c06e5a8510564c.jpg

H8u so much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Brent, I like to call this filling up the tires on the CF Warbird (which you want) with the Silca Pump (which you want).

aaa6be202976c58765adad8087ebeb49.jpg

On a side note. I fucking hate this stupid Hiro chuck. So much adjustment has to be done when switching between tires on different bikes.

Brent, I like to call this filling up the tires on the CF Warbird (which you want) with the Silca Pump (which you want).

aaa6be202976c58765adad8087ebeb49.jpg

On a side note. I fucking hate this stupid Hiro chuck. So much adjustment has to be done when switching between tires on different bikes.

Well, sounds like you need to make a package deal, or use your poor people Silca pump.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

On 10/19/2017 at 6:12 PM, VPI said:

That is actually what makes that chuck unique in that it can accommodate tight pressures for different valve diameters. It was originally designed for Keirin races where those guys put in serious PSI. Other chucks can;t handle the pressure and just pop out. Send it to Brent if you don't like it!! :-O

• Like 1

Finally found (Friday) a connector that leads directly from my local trails to my backyard.  I am happy.  Not that riding the 3/4's of a mile to the trailhead on the road was an imposition compared to having to drive but it's nice to be able to jump on the bike and hit the woods instantly.  

• Like 7