HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

2 hours ago, guzziguy said:

Sorry, Nate.  I didn't realize that the shock was so "special".  Cannondale make some interesting design choices on your bike.   It does sound like a new bike is your best bet.  As Brent said, the bike blowout sales start soon and there are a lot of new, exciting trail bike models.  Good luck in finding an appropriate replacement bike.

At least I knew what I was getting into when I bought it.  When I made the purchase back in 2012 I had done the research to know that the shock (and fork) were an issue in terms of upgrades and maintenance but the price was too good to pass up at the time (40% off).  I'll be making a decision based from a different perspective this time, since I now have a riding buddy who's a former shop mechanic and can help (and teach) as long as stuff uses standard tooling and non-proprietary parts.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The SLX might be slightly stiffer. The seamed Columbus tubing (Chromor, Aelle, etc.) is pretty good riding stuff though. So much so that back in the ‘90s a mag did a test with some riders on identical frames other than material and the Chromor frame won IIRC (think it was Chromor, but it was one of the seamed tubes).
The back bike in the picture looks like it was a bit small for the rider judging from how high the seat is. That’s some serious drop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The back bike (with chromor tubing) has been my everyday commuter bike for a couple of years - the frame is pretty much the same size and geometry as my modern size 58 CAAD12, so pretty aggressive compared to how it was supposed to be set up back in the 90s. (i guess thats the reason why vintage handlebars have such a big drop)

• 4 weeks later...

Christmas came early in NH.  A few weeks ago my wonderful wife authorized the procurement of a new bike and I've gotten out some late-season rides.  Today's was particularly cold.

7JydNeHHRGqTGCV1QyvYYg.thumb.jpg.857beb73872b319660ae99ea0de422ed.jpg

fqf57q4LRoOTR8RZpyA4Vw.thumb.jpg.1225790c8d9117de03cffd41190fb749.jpg

New ride is a Scott Genius 940, picked up for ~20% off as a floor model.  It's truly amazing how far things have come in the 6+ years since I bought a mountain bike.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...