HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

1. Found out yesterday that the drive side crank arm on the Synapse is cracked.  Frick.  I guess the SISL2 cranks are known to do this, carry a special two year warranty as a result, and of course mine is 7 years old so that doesn't mean squat.  Bike parts are, of course, out of stock everywhere because 2022 is a joy just like 2020 and 2021.

2. Coped with #1 the only way I know how and rode one of the other bikes.  It was hovering in the low 30's and snowing lightly and was a perfect day for studded tires.

spacer.png

• Sad 2

^This!

2 hours ago, n_maher said:

1. Found out yesterday that the drive side crank arm on the Synapse is cracked.  Frick.  I guess the SISL2 cranks are known to do this, carry a special two year warranty as a result, and of course mine is 7 years old so that doesn't mean squat.  Bike parts are, of course, out of stock everywhere because 2022 is a joy just like 2020 and 2021.

2. Coped with #1 the only way I know how and rode one of the other bikes.  It was hovering in the low 30's and snowing lightly and was a perfect day for studded tires.

spacer.png

Where's the rear shock???

8 hours ago, guzziguy said:

^This!

Where's the rear shock???

😂

The rear shock just came back from being rebuilt on Friday and is not wearing the right shoes for winter duty at the moment.  No reason I can't swap the studs on and likely will, but I was feeling lazy yesterday and just wanted to get out.  Honestly, on the terrain out back, especially when snow/ice has smoothed things out a bit, the hardtail is great.  But variety is the spice of life so the full-squish will make a triumphant return shortly. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, n_maher said:

Grab a conversion BB for either Shimano or SRAM cranks.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html?cat=900

I know Shimano has some Tiagra, Ultegra, and Dura-Ace cranks in stock in their North American warehouses.  SRAM should have some stuff too, but I can only check their Canadian distributors and not the US ones.

23 minutes ago, aerius said:

Grab a conversion BB for either Shimano or SRAM cranks.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html?cat=900

That's certainly an option I'm evaluating, thanks. Problem is, I run a matched Stages power meter so if I convert to Shimano crank I have to give some thought to how much I care about continued power data.

I'm just reading Mark Cavendish's book Tour de Force about his record winning Tour de France last year, when he matched Eddy Merckx's sprint record of 34 stage wins. Cav was 35.

It is a must read for anyone interested in pro cycling, and really communicates the sheer brutality of the sport. He said that splits happen coming over the top of a climb. Lead riders go over the top pushing 400W, but get a bit of slipstreaming from the camera motorbike. The next group don't have that and have to push 440W. An individual doesn't get a group effect and has to push 480W - and, he says, that is why splits happen.

In a sprint, riders - including Cav - can push up to 2,000W for a number of seconds. After 4 or 5 hours in the saddle.

It is also perfectly clear he doesn't like Sagan one tiny bit.

Looking at the web, he's still competing age 36, will be doing the Tour of Britain, and probably another Tour de France to try and beat Merckx's sprint record.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 7:51 PM, n_maher said:

That's certainly an option I'm evaluating, thanks. Problem is, I run a matched Stages power meter so if I convert to Shimano crank I have to give some thought to how much I care about continued power data.

Not that anyone was following this saga, but this is exactly what I ended up doing.  Thankfully I was able to find someone selling a nearly new Dura-Ace crankset with integrated 4iii dual-sided power meter for half price and my shop charged me like $30 to install the whole thing.  I think I'll be able to recoup a couple hundred from reselling the old Stages PM.  Now if the weather would just allow for me to get the bike back out on the road. 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, got a new bike, but it doesn't have a computer. WTF, isn't this d-_-b?

What are people recommending for bike computers these days? Garmin 530? Wahoo Whateveritis? Yes, I know there is a sticker on the stem and some silly reflectors, but at least I don't have reflectors on the wheels.
image.thumb.png.ccf13682be2a5a4ed9378f6889f0347c.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grahame said:

Meanwhile in a Redwood Grove in a Marin, a very "Marin" cycle just arrived and deposited it's cargo of three photogenic younglings at the play structure.

IMG_20220506_181806.thumb.jpg.927eb3aceba1890629bb23c06751ee2f.jpg

Yours for $7K

https://na.urbanarrow.com/family-bikes/family/

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/urban-arrow-family-e-cargo-bike 

IMG_20220506_185021.thumb.jpg.fb67d80d73228bcbae386a85bbaed0d8.jpg

Ugh @ poor people bikes.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

Quick question: Do they make larger saddle bags?

They?  That isn't a Canyon specific bag, that's just the one that I've had on every bike for like 10 years now or something?  I'm fairly certain it's a Topeak Aero Wedge and they don't make anything I'd call large but there are certainly frame bags and that's what I'd look at if I wan't more storage (e.g. https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/g39263352/bike-frame-bags/).