HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

A cycling thread eh?

After riding an old early nineties daccordi steel bike for a couple of years, i finally bought a moden caad 12 ultegra in early june this year.

I honestly didn't expect the difference to be as big as it was, and the modern alu bike just feels so much better.

It's so quick to accelerate, so fast, and the handling is insane!

So far i've ridden it 1648 km, and i'm getting kind of worried that i spend all my free time riding the damn thing (or thinking about it)

i've even bought a used wahoo kickr so that i can keep riding it through the winter...

i think it might be time for an intervention.

IMG_4104.thumb.jpg.11974428a19ff9d9509654a9a6e597dd.jpg

DSCN6520.thumb.jpg.34391741d9df947124e461cce2a02e00.jpg

• Like 7

I'm riding my ebike all the time these days.  To make the Trek more enticing, I'm planning on fixing its two biggest flaws, which are the lack of a dropper seatpost and 3 chainrings.  To that end, I've ordered a Brand-X dropper from Reaction Cycles and and Sram NX Eagle drive kit.  The dropper arrives next week and Sram is releasing the NX Eagle in September.  Can't wait to play with them.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JoaMat said:

Nice ride! You have any recording for the return? average 48 km/h…:D 

Thanks!!!

No, I haven´t it. Normally we make the return by bike as well and the speeds we reach usually reach up to 80Km/h in some places (at the exit of the town of Teror for example). Yesterday when the road was cut by the race we got off in the team's bus.  

La volata 1c5a4761dec85fcdeea5be5494df1390.jpgc200f768c4737b5bc9d51000d1e45cd8.jpg

• Like 3

I'm riding my ebike all the time these days.  To make the Trek more enticing, I'm planning on fixing its two biggest flaws, which are the lack of a dropper seatpost and 3 chainrings.  To that end, I've ordered a Brand-X dropper from Reaction Cycles and and Sram NX Eagle drive kit.  The dropper arrives next week and Sram is releasing the NX Eagle in September.  Can't wait to play with them.
Nice, Ken!

Xavier loves the SRAM NX1 (11 speed) on his bike. A dropper is all he wants as well to make his bike perfect. Which Trek do you have again? I just remember the e-bike.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, jose said:

No, I haven´t it. Normally we make the return by bike as well and the speeds we reach usually reach up to 80Km/h in some places (at the exit of the town of Teror for example). Yesterday when the road was cut by the race we got off in the team's bus.

I got my first road bike, a Trek, three months ago. Occasionally I reach 45 km/h in moderate downhill slope straight forward - if it goes faster I use the brakes. 80 km/h really impresses (scares) me. I would prefer the team’s bus, if no seat available I take a taxi…

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, n_maher said:

Got back out on the road today.  I'm slightly nervous about the 100 mile ride I have coming up in 3wks.

When I have to do those distances, I always get nervous. I guess it's normal. :mellow: In the islands we make those distances but you never have "flat" areas so you have to go reserving for the next mountain pass. >:(

I think the best thing if you are insecure is to get into a group whose rhythm is similar to yours and keep a steady but affordable rhythm from the beginning.

Does the route you have to do have a lot of elevation?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jose said:

When I have to do those distances, I always get nervous. I guess it's normal. :mellow: In the islands we make those distances but you never have "flat" areas so you have to go reserving for the next mountain pass. >:(

I think the best thing if you are insecure is to get into a group whose rhythm is similar to yours and keep a steady but affordable rhythm from the beginning.

Does the route you have to do have a lot of elevation?

I'll be with a group of friends and overall, the ride has 500+ riders so there will be plenty of folks suffering along with me.  And I'm not sure about the elevation.  I don't think it's extreme, probably a few thousand feet but shouldn't be too bad really.

• Like 2

If you have "good wheels" (other cyclists of a similar level or a little higher than yours) by your side, setting a pace and giving relief, it should not be a problem to reach the finish line and set a good time. The problem is if you hook from the beginning to a group stronger than you, in a few kilometers you will be exhausted.

In my case, the trick is to shoot, shoot, shoot ... and the day of the race, enjoy especially if you go with friends.

Although you still have time, I wish you luck.

At the end of September we have the flight to Gran Canaria and this year will be especially hard.

• Like 1

My bike recently developed a slight creak in the cranks, so i pulled the axle to clean and re-grease it, only to be greeted by this sight.IMG_4146.thumb.jpg.b31922c1ab48c245805933ed586f2214.jpg

Not exactly the kind of wear i had expected after only 2,5 months of riding on a brand new bike (though it has covered 1,733 km in those months)

I'm taking it back to the shop to see if i cant get a new axle and bearings under warranty.

I’ve seen many instances that the amount of lube used at the factory is what I would call light. Not that I ride new stuff though. I have a Campy BB still in service from 1973 that looks perfect...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've ridden in dry conditions 99% of the time, and kept the bike quite clean - never pressure washed though, as i've read it could harm the bearings ?

Bearing turned around nicely without any grinding, but there were some grit underneath the dustcover, so it has obviously gotten quite dirty.

it didn't make any noise before a recent trip when it made a slight creak when the crank arms were vertical.

IMG_4143.thumb.jpg.6a17276b5309f2ff2acc4cbb57d93e93.jpgIMG_4142.thumb.jpg.62b5f9ae62944ef51d1a4abf9f8345d3.jpg

track of the bottom bracket (I guess that's how it is said in English) looks burned, so first there was no grease there and on the other hand at some point, something (dust) entered and jammed the bearing. Are you sure that the tracks of the bearings are completely smooth?

If you continue to disassemble the bike maybe the store refuses to accept the guarantee, be careful about it.

Edit: Looking at the last picture you have put it looks like the bearing track in the bottom bracket case is quite scratched.

Edited by jose