Koss ESP-950 Stax Recable

jimmyb233

The tips of the pins on the amphenol connectors have a little hole in them. 

Strip the wire, stick it through the hole, and solder that way.

Do not to get any solder on the sides of the pins. Just the tip. 

That seems to be the most logical approach, but forgive a dumb ass question...I suck at this stuff.  Where do I place the tip of the iron...normally I'd simply heat up the wire from the Koss but I'll want to limit the exposed wire with five lines in failry tight grouping.  So is there some smarter way to get the solder in there....I don't think it'll be too bright to heat up the plug nipples or the solder directly....that won't last long...  I generally bugger-up delicate stuff like this for being impatient so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks.

HS

I've had luck sticking the tip of the iron into the hole of the tip of the plug then fitting the bare wire on the opposite side and feeding solder in from the wire end as well.  It should fill the with solder and then you can remove the tip :)  Better question is what are you going to do for strain relief.

I've had luck sticking the tip of the iron into the hole of the tip of the plug then fitting the bare wire on the opposite side and feeding solder in from the wire end as well.  It should fill the with solder and then you can remove the tip :)  Better question is what are you going to do for strain relief.

My solder tips are too big....LOL.  Seriously, I am going to need the right tools for the job so I'll dust off a new soldering station I purchased a while back and see what I have.  That's a good pointer...thanks!

You raise a great point about stress relief which, surprisingly, I had thought about.  I don't have a great answer...I was planning on using different sizes of heat shrink.  So a small piece would cover any exposed wires at the butt of the plug.  A larger piece would go over it and hopefully fit over the Koss cable or at least to the very edge (I may need to leave some of the internal sheathing on the individual wires aft the end of the rectangular mother cable...I'm sure my nomenclature is shite...sorry).  Finally, a big arse piece of heat shrink for the crap metal knock-off Stax plug down to the Koss cable.  So layering if you will.  I figure that will be pretty damn stiff and while not great, hopefully it will provide some protection.

In the end, if I buger this up good which is a distinct possibility, I buy one of these pricey cables from Fong audio or Apuresound (which may have a bad rep...dunno).

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-ESP-950-5-pin-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00LCKWG40

http://apuresound.com/images/cables/electrostatic/950/index2.html

;D

HS

I dont know if its too late, or if you saw, but cut the EXTENSION cable and leave the cable on the headphones stock. 

Gives you more chances to re-fix the cable, and if they ever get "the squeal" you can still send them back to Koss. 

Absolutely.  That extension cable wasn't likely to be of much use to me and if I ever decide to sell (say I get woowed by a sexy pair of Stax...), it should be easier.

I have to say, I've been more impressed with the Koss ESP's than I expected.  I like a somewhat warm signature (e.g. the HD 650 grew on me once I adjusted to them) and was a bit worried the bass would be ridiculously thin on the Koss's.  It's not all that bad, and the mids and highs are superb for me....I don't do siblance well.  I think some KGST lovin' might just be the ticket.  That or a SR 007.  When will it end...

HS 

Those look fantastic! I have a feeling mine will be a bit more on the redneck side....

Kevin - I don't know that I can do your connector justice with my lack of skills but I will reach out via PM assuming that is OK.

Big thanks to the HeadCase crew for being tolerant of my rook questions...much appreciated!

I can't wait to plug the ESP-950's into the KGST :D

HS

The recable isn't a bad idea if you're going to keep them forever.  If you ever think you might punt, though, I think it'll be easier to sell them with the E90 amp.  Hell...for what I paid new, shipped for the ESP's and the amp, it was a hell of a deal.  Good intro to e-stats I think.  If they're half of what I hope with the KGST, I'm gonna be smilin'....

;D

HS

Seems the apt place to put this. Some Norwegians are offloading some closed back ESP-900s on the eBay. $300 a pop.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Koss-ESP900-medical-certified-ESP950-Headband-Headphones-Black-/251793784174?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa0143d6e&autorefresh=true

Are they any good? They make them for use with MRI machines nearby which I suspect means, just slap a closed back on the stock headphone and have done.

Edited by Duggeh