Unique Melody customs

Leonardo Drummond

I've got a Unique Melody Merlin demo on loan and it sounds great. I'm opening this thread since I've never read anything here about the company, and based on what I'm listening, they appear to deserve some careful consideration, especially given JH Audio's dubious customer support.

The Merlin is a hybrid, and has dual highs, dual mids and a dynamic for lows. It's more forward than my JH13s and delivers more bass - stepping into HE500 territory -, but without losing any definition or texture. It's a pretty fun sound signature, although more grainy and a bit less refined than that of the JH. But then it's about 200 bucks cheaper, and the build quality is considerably better than what I've seen from JH Audio. I woudn't replace my 13s for them, but if I was buying my first custom, I'd probably save those 200 dollars.

I promise I'm no shill, but I'm pretty happy with what I'm hearing, so just letting you guys know that it's another great CIEM maker. I haven't heard the freqphased JHs though...

I'm a little turned off on universal demo's of customs, because the actual custom tends to sound a little different. I did think the Merlin demo at RMAF was fun sounding, and the Miracle was a little more neutral sounding. Since I own the ES3X, ES5, and JH13Pro and prefer their "accurate" sound vs my UE11Pro's "fun" sound, I'm not sure the Merlin would be for me.

I have the JH13Pro from summer 2009, and ES5 from summer 2010. But I don't have the new freqphase waveguide JH13 version.

I think they both have smooth extended & sweet highs, while the mids of the ES5 are just a little more forward and lively (or vivid). The bass in the ES5 is just a little more emphasized in the mid-bass, while with the JH13Pro it's more emphasized in the deeper bass. They are both excellent IEM, with good speed and micro-detail and soundstage.

With both of these getting all my ear time I don't recall the last time I used my ES3X or UE11Pro. So, I would not want to go without either one, but I do tend to use the ES5 a little more. I really couldn't offer a valid comparison of the demo freqphase JH13 or JH16 that I heard at RMAF vs the ES5.

My ears are starting to roll off by 12.5Khz so I can't say they are less rolled off or more rolled of than the JH13Pro. But when I turn up the volume high I can hear 16Khz with both IEM, but it's still fading a lot for my old ears. JHA claims they have better extension, but most owners of the ES5 (at the other forum) feel the ES5 go up pretty high as well.