Computer buying help

So I'm not going to bore you with all the details, but I'm looking at getting a new laptop, and the 1920x1080-on-a-15-inch-screen-or-smaller technology has been around long enough that my choices have expanded beyond 2 or 3 companies since last time. Where would I go to get advice? I.E. I'm looking at MSI, Toshiba, and HP Envy, and I don't know if these are better or worse (than, for example, my current Sony) in terms of ruggedness, value-for-the-dollar, intelligently chosen chipset combinations, etc. I would, of course, prefer better. As much as I like Sony, I know it's not famously the top brand, I'm just partial to it from experience.

• 2 years later...

I'm not answering Dusty's question, I just didn't want to start another thread with the same topic.

I need to replace a computer running as a headless Linux server. The current computer is a kludge of various parts, some of which are up to 12 years old (this computer replaced a Packard Bell that, in 2003, seemed ancient at only 9). The processor is an AMD Athlon II X2 240 Processor. It is actually fast enough for what it does (serve files) and throttles back when not in use which saves some heat, but I am having some peripheral issues and it seems dumb to keep throwing money at it.

Requirements are that it is fast enough, as cheap as possible, as quiet as possible (it can sit in a closet or basement if need be), and can hold a full size HDD. The best thing I have come across is a Lenovo TS140 server with an i3 processor for $220. The model is a little long in the tooth, though Lenovo still sells it for twice that. I've actually installed Windows 2012 on one of these and it has been running fine for a while. But is anyone aware of any better deals out there? Anything more NUC'ey?

What is the reason for needing it to fit a full size HDD?  Aside from building yourself using a custom case, there aren't many small form factor systems that accommodate anything larger than a 2.5" drive these days.  It seems like the Lenovo you linked should be more than adequate in replacing a 12yr old system that was still able to do want you needed it to.

Doug, have you considered of the computer on chip options? Something like the Raspberry Pi stuff? 

Way way too slow. For all the talk about Raspberry Pi's, the part that people typically fail to mention is how utterly useless they are. And the distro I want to run won't run on an ARM.

What is the reason for needing it to fit a full size HDD?

I already have them and don't want to spring for more drives. And I have not seen 4TB 2.5" drives yet.

Regarding laptops, this would be my current, non-Apple choice.  Although I do not do any gaming or anything that requires a dedicated GPU, that said the recent gen of Intel HD graphics are actually quite good.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?fl=p

That's actually the direction that I was leaning for my wife's next computer. 

I was going to recommend the Gigabyte Brix series of mini-PC's but I don't think any of them support 3.5" drives.  2.5" drives only.

Also I agree with the new Dell XPS 13" recommendation, looks absolutely killer.  If I didn't already have a Surface Pro 3 I'd be getting one.

In the end, that server basically is a NAS with a better processor and the ability to do some other stuff. They had one with damaged packaging for even cheaper, and I had CC points, so I picked it up.

If anybody wants the old computer, once the new one is configured and running, it is yours for the shipping. The case is actually not that bad -- it is an old HTPC and is very quiet. I'll post some pics/specs at some point.

Way way too slow. For all the talk about Raspberry Pi's, the part that people typically fail to mention is how utterly useless they are.

Crappy -- didn't mean that to be so snarky. I use rpy's for things like squeezeplayers, or with a camera to watch the cats. But this needs to run as a squeeze server, samba server, plex server, backup server, etc. so it needs a bit more processing power than the rpy's.

It kills me to see how much companies upcharge for going from regular HD to SSD and to go up in size in SSD  >:( when excellent SSD's like Sandisk Ultra II and Samsung Evo can be bought at very reasonable prices.  I have gone the route of getting laptops with good processor and RAM with cheap/small HD's, then inserting my own SSD for all laptops I currently use, which is working out great.