krell ksa5 klone

kevin gilmore

So LSK389A (hard to source in old Europe !).

I bought from Micross in the UK (https://www.micross.com/ecommerce/shop-default.aspx) Their postage charge is still high, but more reasonable than trendsetter and there is no risk of additional customs charges since it is from the UK. Also, I got my parts delivered within the same week as I placed the order.

//UFN

• 2 weeks later...

Have now finished putting the amp together and without the opamp in place I get around 7mV offset on one channel, but around 1.5V on the other. The amp otherwise seems stable although I haven't listened to it yet. Any ideas as to what i need to check to find the problem?

//UFN

• 3 weeks later...

UFN, there is obviously a fault.

For a 2N5564 with a data sheet specification for maximum offset of 5mV between the pair, this circuit should see a maximum of 25.6mV output offset for a worst case 2N5564 with the servo disconnected.

This thing doesn't need a servo if it's using a matched input pair like the 2N5564. The servo can be removed and a trimmer potentiometer used to trim R3 and R4 to shift the drain currents of the input pair to null the input offset and therefore the output offset.

R45 could be removed and R46 replaced with a 750Ω resistor to keep the gain the same. With the added benefit of removing the LF pole created by C8, C9 not the least the extra distortion caused by those electrolytics. So a true DC low frequency response.

Edited by CraigBuckingham

Finished my KSA5 and am very pleased after a relativly short listening session.  Board parts are standard from the BOM  with extra attention paid to closely matching the parts.  Goldpoint controls, Vampire RCA's, SUMR transformer.  A big thank you to Kevin Gilmore for making this project possible!

post-4368-0-93032100-1417454622_thumb.jp

post-4368-0-28912800-1417454634_thumb.jp

post-4368-0-77259200-1417454645_thumb.jp

Me

• Like 1

1.5VDC?  That's a lot and I think the servo can't eliminate that much offset. 

Were the inputs grounded (or the pot installed) when making the measurement?

UFN, there is obviously a fault.

For a 2N5564 with a data sheet specification for maximum offset of 5mV between the pair, this circuit should see a maximum of 25.6mV output offset for a worst case 2N5564 with the servo disconnected.

This thing doesn't need a servo if it's using a matched input pair like the 2N5564. The servo can be removed and a trimmer potentiometer used to trim R3 and R4 to shift the drain currents of the input pair to null the input offset and therefore the output offset.

R45 could be removed and R46 replaced with a 750Ω resistor to keep the gain the same. With the added benefit of removing the LF pole created by C8, C9 not the least the extra distortion caused by those electrolytics. So a true DC low frequency response.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have been away and unable to retest until today. I was pretty sure I had the inputs properly grounded last time, but I removed the board from the case, reflowed a couple of suspicious joints and then retested it with better cabling. Now I get around 8mV on one channel and 22mV on the other without the opamps, and less than 5mV on both channels after fitting the opamps again.

Not sure what exactly the problem was, but it looks like I've fixed it  8)

//UFN

Finished my KSA5 and am very pleased after a relativly short listening session.  Board parts are standard from the BOM  with extra attention paid to closely matching the parts.  Goldpoint controls, Vampire RCA's, SUMR transformer.  A big thank you to Kevin Gilmore for making this project possible!

<snip>

Me

Nice work on that chassis!

//UFN