krell ksa5 klone

kevin gilmore

Do this:

http://www.diamondstar.de/transistor_matching_jfet.html

Make sure Idss meets spec. Very easy with some alligator clips, ammeter, and 9V battery.

Works well. I was able to sort out a mess of 2SK170-BL for another project. Had an epic fail procurement on my 2SJ74-BL.....out of spec Idss, but I may have enough to do what I need.

• 2 weeks later...

I went very nuts with the power transformer.

I've just paid for a 50VA "custom order" by Canterbury Windings, with electrostatic shield and a goss band.

Planning to put the Klone in a single chassis, I'll see how clean it can be.

Edited by G600

• 4 weeks later...

If Craig is ok with it I can post the mods he suggested

nopants, sorry for the late reply, not always reading all the threads here frequently. I would prefer you don't post anything as "my mods", instead maybe you can try one thing at a time and if you like the result, post it as something you tried without any reference to me.

It's a clone and I don't want to actively promote diversion away from the intent of the thread and project.

Edited by CraigBuckingham

• 2 weeks later...

I have powered up the amp.

Bias was very easy to set, but I don't experience the decribed negative tempco : my bias stays quite the same after warming up.

Offset is around 40 on one side, and 80 mV in the other, without the OP27 of course.

Everything looks quite stable, and the temperature is lower than what I expected.

Don't know if I'll wait for a scope before first listening with el cheapo cans...

• 1 month later...

you should ask this question in the megatron thread, but there is a constant current source

at the cathodes, and you can't do dual current sources. The current source at the cathode

is necessary to keep the differential gain high.

you could replace the cathode constant current source with a resistor, then do more of the

same current sources as the second stage.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Finished populating my KSA5 today. 

Tried to match transistors since I had a stash of mpsw06/56 from my dynalo builds ... it really takes a considerable amount of time if one lets the transistor stabalise before testing the next. 

The build it self wasn't particular complicated, but one has to take care that all transistors get into the right place and have the right orientation ... well, I guess everybody here knows that, but with so many trannies it is easy to miss one or two ... I did do that fuck-up building one dynalo ....ending up having 10V on the output ...anyways I manged to get through without any errors this time....that is almost ...turned out that I missed a 39pF and two .1uF when doing the BOM.

Hook it up to a Sigma22 PSU at 2x24V ....without any smoke .... less than 50mV on the output (input grounded) ....put a load on and a signal ....everything seems fine .... 

this bastard gets hot when running ... I dare think of how hot it will get when ever I get around to boxing it  ::)

0AOySsV.jpg

A first listen using my HD800 sounds very promising. But so does the dynalo  8)

Thanks to Kevin/Birgir for bringing this clone to the community  :laugh:

@Grinding Thud ....oh yeah .....from back then ... actually my first ... bought it when it came out ... switch from Texas TI57 (miss that disply anyways) ...I don't collect ....but manged to have a few anyways:

HMPHNEh.jpg

Actually its been years since I last did a program on the 15C ...did it today, matching some transistors ...a small program calculating the Hfe ....funny how things get stucked in your mind ....took less than 30s and off I went ... loving this flashing "running" when it steps through ten lines of code ... 

I hope you did remove the batteries before storing? or at least they haven't leaked ... there a few articles in PPC rgrd synthetic programming on the HP15C ... not of much use, but rather entertaining if you want to fiddle a bit with the intrinsic of Saturn  :)