krell ksa5 klone

kevin gilmore

thanks for your comments :D, had a long listening session last night and it's great.

thats exactly the case i used, it's nicly made and everything fit fine. but i wouldn't build
anything with more than 10-15 watt class a in this case, not good for dissipating heat.
you find it also on aliexpress, their i did get mine.

the front is lacquered with metallic car color on a primer, fit's the color of the th-900 and
always good to bring a little color in your life. the logo of the delivered case is aluminium,
screwed on, i replaced it whit a printed piece of wood.

anodising is on my wish list to do myself but i think it's tricky with bigger parts.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

1st post here.  Getting ready to go ahead with the build, waiting for the PCB from ebay.  I was checking resistors and I found this:

Vishay.JPG

I have never come across a Vishay resistor this far off (please no comments on the crappy "multimeter"). Will update once I get the build underway.  Thanks KG!

Looks like it's a autoranging meter and probably be better if you could manually set the range to the one lower.

That is, if the meter allows you to set the range manually.

Cheap meters are sometimes well out of spec when the range is too high.

Edited by wink
more info.

I just had the cheapo meter handy for the picture.  I checked it with my Amprobe meter, and it measured 500 ohm.  The rest of the pack of resistors (from Mouser) measured between 674 and 680 ohm, perfectly within spec of 1%.

27479991356_2e9761a063_b.jpg

Got the power supply built.  I got a R-core 50VA transformer, 110V primary and 25V secondary.  My mains is at 120V and the measured output from the transformer feeding into the PS was 30.88V.  The output from the PS was +23.07V and -23.40V.

The boards from ebay are really nice.

[edit]Just ordered a toroidal transformer from Antek.  The R-core from ebay has a funny solvent smell.[/edit]

Finished stuffing the PCB's.  No problems.  Bias set at 97mV warm.  DC offset -2.3V and -2.4V with the servos.  Didn't bother to check without the servos.  With the Antek transformer (secondary measured at 25.7V), the PS output was at +22.87V and -23.10V.  The BJT's (D44VH10G and D45VH10G) on the PS were running a lot cooler though.  Had a brief listen with alligator clips--sounded great.  The case from Hifi 2000 should get here tomorrow.

27500532261_5e561fe64b_b.jpg