Apple TV issues

Recently, I acquired an Apple TV to serve music wirelessly to the ps audio dl 3 dac. When it works, I have no issues. Even the delay/lag problem I was having just stopped occurring after I restarted the macbook air. Perhaps there was a buffer issue. I didn't need to buy and 3rd party software. It works on any kind of audio/video file.

However, every time I try to select the Apple TV in sound settings on my MBA, it kills the wireless router. The only way to fix it is to power cycle the router. I am using WPA2 encryption and the problem persists without any encryption schemes as well. Any thoughts on what could be causing this and how to fix it? It kills the internet about 5 times at which point it either starts working randomly or I give up and use the jh16s. The whole point of me buying this was to be able to use it with headphones and speakers without having my laptop bound to the dac via a usb cable.

Halp!

Never heard of this issue, and I'm using an Airport Extreme with WPA2. Maybe try an Apple router, or a newer one? Is the router running the latest firmware?

I'm assuming you are selecting the Apple TV through airplay on the MBA in iTunes, and that it's a newer little black ATV and not an older 1st Gen? When you do that, what do you mean by "it kills the wireless router"? Does the MBA lose internet, or does the ATV disappear?

Everyone in the house loses Internet. The router needs to be reset to get things back in order. Latest Apple TV. Firmware was updated yesterday.

I'm suspecting the router as the culprit so far, and I don't think this would happen with an Apple router. It shouldn't happen with any router, but you never know.

Again, can you try to control the Apple TV playback through the Apple TV and remote, rather than controlling the playback through the MBA?

Basically, what happens when you tell the ATV to fetch the music from the Home Sharing server on the MBA, rather than telling the MBA/iTunes to push the music to the ATV via Airplay? With an iDevice and Remote app you shouldn't need a monitor connected to the ATV, if you don't have one hooked up.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

But I am not exclusively listening to music on a hard drive. I am watching lectures, videos, YouTube etc also.

Music/video is on the MBA hard drive. I change the sound output in preferences to Apple TV and router takes a dump. I reset the router 3-4 times. It starts working. I can use vlc, QuickTime, iTunes with bit perfect etc just fine. Randomly later the sound cuts out and the video continues but no sound output. I try to change it to Apple TV again and router crashes.

I have a lot of outflow of cash this month with med school deposit, speakers, amp coming in. Not sure if I can swing more money right now. Maybe christmas time there might be a sale on the routers from apple...Has that happened in the past or should I just try to find used ones? Refurbished ones are available from apple directly for ~$130-140. 

Really?  I've got mine working.  What was the problem?

It didn't work with the supplied modem and my understanding is something to do with how your installer did the installation - via coax or ethernet cable.  I wasn't home during installation, so I couldn't specify what I wanted and installation was done via coax.  Assuming you don't want to deal with getting an installer to come again to make physical changes, I've been told that one can change/tweak settings so that you can use your own router (in place of the modem if you don't have their TV service, or behind the modem if you have their TV service ) but the provided modem/router works well enough for my purpose and supports 802.11n so I never bothered.