Which Console?

The Monkey

Ok, so the Boy wants a video game console. I want to get him one that we can use together.  My initial assumption was Wii U, but it is getting mixed reviews.  What do you guys think?  XBOX with Kinect?  Basically, I want something that has good multi-player, non-shooting games.  So lots of sports titles and things that the Boy can physically do instead of just using the controller.  Don't care about Blu-Ray, etc.

For his age (which is pretty much Peter's age) I think the Wii games are still the best. Our old Wii no longer reads disks so rather than replace it, Peter will be getting a Wii U for Christmas. It can use the legacy Wii controllers and games. The older games don't fully use the new platform but I don't see that as a fatal flaw. Peter also loves Little Big Planet and Little Big Planet 2. Both of those are currently only available on the PS3. Take all this with a grain of salt as I am a staunch non-gamer.

• Like 1

PS3 would be my call.  It's really going to come down to the games. How many/which games will your son want to play/is he interested in?  The Little Big Planet games are gems and you can get all kinds of kid friendly games over PSN (and XBLA, too, for that matter.)

Edited by Eric5676

Agree. Go with the one that has the best game selection.

What I would do is get a Wii U for him this X-Mas. Then maybe wait for the PS4 or whatever in a year or two.

The only sports game I've played with motion controls are the Wii ones. Golf is freaking blast with other people. Especially drinking golf.

Monkey, did you get the "Deluxe" Black version?  The accessories, storage, and Nintendoland (12 games) are worth the extra $50.

Got to try this system at the local mall- pretty cool...key is backwards compatibility to all Wii and some forward innovation + HD.

The employee at Gamestop swore that I must get a screen protector and some extra stylus'...

Early reports was that updating the unit could take up to 3.5 hours online, supposedly now it can be ~30 minutes.  So updating before giving is recommended.

EDIT: Also got (4) of the Wii Plus Remotes to use with Sports Resort (updated version of Wii Sports with use of the Motion Plus module).

Edited by Cee Tee