2013 Cycling Goals

boomana

I'm starting a new thread so it doesn't get lost in the main one.  If others think this should be more appropriately placed in the off-topic forum, I'll move it, but I was just thinking to keep the two threads somewhat together.

Anyway, I like goals.  Without them, I do nothing but talk about doing things.  I'm going to keep mine simple and, barring more injuries, do-able.

1.  4000 miles.  That's about 83 mile a week.  Highly do-able.

2. I want to increase my speed to be able to hang with a paceline for more than 10 miles at 20+ mph.

3.  I want to learn how to ride hills. I still can't stand and pedal, and descending, however much I like it, scares me.

4.  I want to complete the Smart Ride I trained for this year and missed.

• Like 1

Great thread.  My goals before starting to mtb would have been 4,000 plus miles this year, which I agree would be doable.  With mtb added to the mix, I'm going to put my road goal at 3,500 miles.  It is possible that I will be able to get another 6 to 10 miles per week which would get me close to 4,000 but in all likelihood, if I could do 3,500 total for the year, I would be very happy.  I would also like to do at least one full century.  The closest I've come is 78 miles in NYC so I believe that is a reasonable goal.

Agreed, great thread and a good place for us to keep each other motivated and on track.  For me:

1. 2,000 road miles.  This is going to be tough since I'm not going to count anything ridden on the trainer this winter, just actually ass-on-pavement miles.  I have, in a good year, 7 months of productive riding (April - October).

2. 12-18 good MTB rides.  I'm hoping to get 1 a week in but that's unrealistic if I'm going to meet goal #1 and not end up divorced.

3. End this season a little faster over longer distances than I did this year.  The record this year was essentially 20mph for 20miles.  I don't have a target figure in mind.

4. I want to participate in at least one full century, would like to find a metric century for earlier in the season and maybe ride one day of the Trek Across Maine with a coworker.  I'd love to do the whole ride but I don't think I'll have the time to commit to something like that this year.

5. Get 5+ pounds under 200.  I cracked the 200lb barrier briefly last year, I'd like to do better this time around.  I've had a really hard time finding time and energy to work out lately (been sick off and on since early November and so has most of the family) but I seem to be turning the corner on that front and will hopefully be able to get back on the trainer shortly to not lose every bit of strength/endurance I gained last year.

• Like 1

Good thread idea!

1) 160-165 lbs. Currently around 190

2) 2000+ miles. Same thing as Nate in terms of available decent conditions, though I did do some riding in Nov. and a slight amount in Dec. Hopefully commuting 2-3 times a week will aid in this (18 mi round trip).

3) Do the Dairyland Dare in Wisconsin in August, metric century, around 4000' climbing :eek:  Will need lower gearing than my current 43/24 low for this one. Maybe try the 150k distance?

4) Increase speed to 18+ mph for an hour. Not sure how doable this one is as I ride by myself and there are quite a few stop lights/signs.

5) Quit smoking in January (again :rolleyes: ) I currently smoke about 1/2 pack a day.

I would put number one on my list to attend a HC Cycling meet, MTB or Road.

With my schedule I would like to get 1200 miles between MTB and Road.

I would like to ride some distance in the Tour de Cure in April. Probably 25 -50 miles.

I would also try to ride to the train station a couple of times a week.

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1

-drop from 155 to 140 lbs

-put ~ 350 miles on the mtb, this might be difficult given my schedule this year. But we'll see :)

-significantly increase my upper body strength so I can improve my riding technique, using arms/forearm suspension to absord bumps better. I've never lifted seriously, so I have my work cut out for me here

-pick up an Edge 500 to follow my riding progress

-drop from 155 to 140 lbs   -put ~ 350 miles on the mtb, this might be difficult given my schedule this year. But we'll see :)   -significantly increase my upper body strength so I can improve my riding technique, using arms/forearm suspension to absord bumps better. I've never lifted seriously, so I have my work cut out for me here   -pick up an Edge 500 to follow my riding progress
-Buy a Freakin Bike
  • Like 2

I wouldn't call either of those small or nonsensical. The climb, in particular, sounds like a heck of a goal. I've driven it so I know what you're up against.

It will be a handful, that's for sure. I'll be scheduling a few time trials next year as well, and hopefully set up a good team for the Honolulu Tinman triathlon.

1) Commit on corners better, I need to trust the tires more and just lean the bike way the fuck over.  I couldn't do this consistently this year and lost too much speed from being a wuss.

2) Take a trip to Quebec and spend  a week riding the world cup DH course and other trails at Mont Sainte Anne.

3) Get more airtime on jumps & drops.  Do bigger jumps and drops.

-Buy a Freakin Bike

I hear you, but there is a lot I need to improve with my riding before a better bike is going to help me out. So improving skills >  new bike. Or if something big breaks on the GT.

That said I was firm on "no new bikes in '12" which I shockingly stuck to... those resolutions never worked with music or gear. It would be an understatement to say I'm really proud of myself in that regard. The self restrain to not whip out the CC was hard. It's going to be all the sweeter when it does happen.

Goals? I have professional goals and personal goals. None for bikes or trikes. I love to ride and setting goals introduces competition with myself and others. Not for my riding which I do both for the love of it and for the smile it always gives me. I wish all of you well and hope you each achieve your goals. I'll wave and laugh as you pass me! I do hope you love riding as much as I do and that you enjoy the biker/triker smile I almost always have.

1. Get below 140 from 157.

2. Log 3,000 miles

3.Spend time on trainer when the weather is shitty or if lack of daylight prevents me from riding.

4. Average 20+ on solo rides for at least 20 miles.

5. Do a least 1 full century

6. Find more hills to ride.....I've learned to like hills but never really dedicated the effort to look for hilly rides.

7. Take longer and harder pulls

8. Join the local shop ride

9. Hydrate better and take more electrolytes to prevent rampant cramping

For me 1) Get to 185 pounds from 215 2) clock 4000 road miles 3) hang with the 20 mph plus rides 4) not get dropped hard at mile 50 after a few rolling hills 5) figure out if I like MTBing 6) enjoy the shit out of riding

JP, item 4 should not be too hard after accomplishing item 1. As for item 6, I think you already got that covered.

Well, damn.  As long as we're throwing our fattage numbers around, 135 is my goal end goal.  I'm currently 161.2 with my 1st short goal of being in the 150s by New Years, even if thats 159.99999999.  As far as training goes, I've mapped out January already.  I'm currently weight training four days a week (1/2 hour) and getting back on the bike on the weekends, cautiously increasing distance until I feel confident my ankle can handle things.  If all goes well, I'm going to cut the weights back to two or three times a week, and add in the two weekday interval trainings I'd been doing and actually love in February.  

Jan goals: 

Fat reduction:150 by end of the month 

Weights:  Three to four times weekly

Riding: Getting back on the bike and feeling things out as my body allows.  I just don't know how fast I can improve without risk of doing something stupid by pushing things.

Main Focus: Build me some more muscles and lose my poof.  High priority.  

Cycling Focus:  As long as I'm back to the beginning all over again, I'm going to take this time to really focus on my pedaling technique.  Also, as Jacob said, I want to learn to stand and pedal.  I can, like when I'm starting out after a light or similar, but I clunkity clunk clunk clunk things.  It's embarrassing.  I'm 90% sure it's because my legs are weak, but I'm also sure my technique sucks.  That might be a good February goal.

Jeff, HC cycling meet!  Yes!