Bookshelf speakers/monitors that can take a digital input?

recstar24

The HSU wouldn't need a sub, but you would be missing everything below 80hz. I also think they might be a bit large if the Emotivas are as well. I picked up the older version of the Pioneers for $39 w/free shipping from Newegg. For the price they are hard to beat, maybe some Daytons from PE might be in the same realm.  

Don't know if they are the same Pioneer speakers, but I had some of their $100 specials for a while -- I got them from woot. They were OK, not great overall, thought they were great for the price point, and probably good for TV. I must have eBay'd them as I don't see the box around here anywhere. 

I listened to piles of bookshelf speakers, and nothing under $1K (new price) really sounded that great which was disappointing. Some of the paradigms were OKish. I ended up with some small Dynaudios that I got used for a good price. I think they were much better than anything else in their price range.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

Is there anything out there smaller/cheaper? Would have to fit in my cabinet, which could output to those $99 pioneer bookshelves people have been raving about.

If you're tight on space, I'd stick with powered monitors.  Especially since you'll be needing a DAC as well.  Either that, or at least get a DAC/Amp (stereo receiver?).  Except you might not have the space for that either.

Where are you going to situate the speakers, again?  If you go the powered monitor route, make sure they're not hermetically sealed in, they should have a bit of breathing space.  This actually might be a good reason to get a separate amp -- you can always situate it higher (over the TV and to one side, or something).

And I agree with the class D comment -- also one that doesn't need as much cooling as a "regular" amp.

If I do a separate amp will probably have to be class d for size and heat. Dusty, unfortunately I've got about maybe 8 inches on each side of the TV furniture stand and the left speaker will get hermetically sealed into a wall. Not enough land on the furniture as a bookshelf would cover some of the TV. Arg. Don't want to bother with stands so I may need to look at tall and skinny full sized speakers.

well, just bought one of these to use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Optic-Coaxial-RCA-Toslink-Signal-to-Analog-Audio-Converter-Adapter-/321049365774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac0088d0e

any idea if the TV remote will control the volume control of the optical output? probably not, which begs the question on how I will control volume, as this will go straight into the A2s.

Nate, I do have an Apple TV! And while it would work for music through AirPlay, I don't think it can take a digital input from my tv and output to the monitors. But I forgot about audio engine and they may have something I can use. Grahame, it does convert to lpcm 2.0. Dusty amd doug, will definitely take a look.

I really like the Audioengine D1 DAC - you power it with a USB port (wall adapter for example) with digital input, and RCA out (as well as headphone out).  The RCA output quality is a bit better than the headphone out, and should serve you well as long as you aren't looking for a 5.1 DAC.  

I really want to hear the Kef X300a that come out this month, high hopes.

Ditto. There are a couple of local KEF dealers here but both are completely clueless about computer audio so the likelihood of being able to audition a pair are slim. 

I want a pair of these: http://unityaudioproducts.co.uk/the-rock.php

ELAC tweeter and woofer in a sealed box with an E.A.R. amp.  I just sprung for a pair of ADAM ARTist 3s and some other gear so I can't justify something like these for a while, regrettably. 

No go on wall mounts due to wife non acceptance :)

Take a look at the attached pic - you have about 8" on each side of the furniture.

I'm thinking A2 and just set on ground to the sides of furniture, I believe they have adjustable risers to angle them up. Can't be any worse than the cheapo soundbar on the ground.

They have a volume control but I can do volume from the oppo analog out as well.

Last call for any cheaper options than the audioengine a2 at $200 for powered bookshelves?

Edit. Not sure why the uploaded is flipping my pic upside down. We do not have an anti gravity chamber I assure you.

post-19-0-70203800-1357414661_thumb.jpg

Edited by recstar24

Don't want to bother with stands so I may need to look at tall and skinny full sized speakers.

If you do and decide to spend a bit more, how about these: http://www.roleaudio.com/windjammer\

Or: http://www.roleaudio.com/sampan

I've had the Sampan FTLs in my desktop rig for several years; surprising amount of bass; very nice detail and imaging; drove with a Trends 10.1. Looks like all would fit on either side flush with the screen. I actually just pulled the FTLs out of the rig to fit a headphone amp; could send to you to audition if you go this route.

Small DAC with remote volume (or pre-amp); T-amp or similar with pot bypass; above speakers. Have used this in tv rig in the past and it was slick. Also had a universal remote with volume punch through, so one volume control for dvd, tv/cable, or game console.

Those look nice but are definitely over budget for my application and need. If I were to do $1000 plus I'd probably do Jordan mltl which I can get for just under $1000 shipping included from Jordan USA (they have the ead e100hd which replaces the jx92s). Definitely staying with powered bookshelves for now.

Just catching up on this....if you are thinking tall and thin, you may find a good deal on a used pair of Silverline Preludes.  I have the rev 1 version, and find them easy to drive with pretty deep bass.....

EDIT: none on Audiogon now, but I've seen them (rev 1's) for as little as $500/pair.

Edited by skullguise

Well I just measured how much clearance there is between the edge of the tv and the cabinet, and guess what, it's exactly 4 inches each side, meaning the a2 can sit right on the corner and it won't block any viewing area. The oppo can control volume and I can have it down mix to stereo, its audio processing is supposed to be excellent so I doubt I'll miss much of the supposed surround effect from my soundbar, which can go upstairs to the g25. Happy days.

• Like 1

OK I've got the a2 and the little stands loaded up in my amazon cart, the one thing holding me back is volume output. I am about 11 ft viewing/listening distance, is there enough output from those tiny speakers? They are advertised as near field computer speakers so I fear they may end up sounding too small at my distance.

OK I've got the a2 and the little stands loaded up in my amazon cart, the one thing holding me back is volume output. I am about 11 ft viewing/listening distance, is there enough output from those tiny speakers? They are advertised as near field computer speakers so I fear they may end up sounding too small at my distance.

Can't answer that, but seeing as you are ordering from Amazon they will be very easy to return if they don't.