Bookshelf speakers/monitors that can take a digital input?

recstar24

I had A2s for a limited time and I think if you're satisfied with them at 2' you'd probably be at 11'. Thing is I wasn't so would encourage moving to A5/5+s. I returned the A2s and think it's easily worth the upgrade (especially at what older A5s are going for now), but then again lots of happy A2 owners (including if I remember a review of them for outdoor BBQ use - so much for that 11' barrier ;)). That said I haven't read this whole thread so not sure if there are other circumstances barring the upgrade.

OK I've got the a2 and the little stands loaded up in my amazon cart, the one thing holding me back is volume output. I am about 11 ft viewing/listening distance, is there enough output from those tiny speakers? They are advertised as near field computer speakers so I fear they may end up sounding too small at my distance.

They have plenty of volume, but do make sure to use stands to avoid the midbass bloom from having them on a desk, shelf or floor.  I use a pair of A2 daily for about 3 years now.

I'm going to add that I did buy a pair of A5 at RMAF 2010 and those are more transparent with better extension at both ends, but they were too big for my application so I stuck with my old A2 and let my son use the A5.  The A2 really aren't bad, as long as you get the placement right and use stands.  The A2 actually have pretty decent imaging and power, and they don't have any annoying midrange and treble colorations, just an easily boosted mid-bass that can overwhelm everything else if you put them flat on a shelf or desk.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

The a2's came in and I have them installed with the stands. Watching some dark knight and the audio is a clear improvement. Plenty of movie bass and impact with plenty of volume. The oppo down mixing is excellent, great stereo surround effects and the imaging is nice with a straight placement no toe in. The improvement in clarity in dialog and overall is ridiculous, but the quality of my free panny soundbar with 10% thd that was on the ground was suspect :)

Happy camper! Thanks guys.

Edit: have no idea why my pics are being rotated, but they are attaching normally I swear.

post-19-0-59499000-1357683139_thumb.jpg

Edited by recstar24
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...