Megatron Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier

kevin gilmore

• 2 weeks later...

Will this measure up in performance against the T2 and the BHSE?

It has has more power than the KGSShv, with lower voltage swing but more current?

This is tempting to build. Less worries with fake semiconductor parts, at least for the amp part.

Edited by Victor Chew

This is absolutely at the T2/BHSE level. Remember that 50% of the output tube heat

is filament heat, only 10 watts per tube goes actually goes to make audio.

(ONLY)

Because of the feedback, the prototype actually does .15% thd, and slew rates

of over 100 volts per microsecond.

The power supply is the kgsshv power supply at +/-450 volts. Or the simpler one.

The auto dc balance requires very stable power supplies, so if you build the simpler

one, the output dc will drift over temperature. A triple kgsshv power supply, +300, +/-500 would

give this thing even more output swing. I can do that later. I suppose that you can go completely

unregulated if you want to do really simple.

And there I was hoping for a simple build that would allow me not to hunt for a good SRM1-MK2... That and also tubes.

Btw, isn't that thd a bit on the high side? I know that thd doesn't necessarily show the whole picture but still. In that sense it seems to be "something different".

The THD is on par with the 727 so not bad for a tube amp. Tube matching is critical so matched octets would be a good idea.

This could be the simplest high end amp anyone can build. The PSU is complicated but it's also pretty forgiving of mistakes so it would be a good noob amp. I do think I could cram the amp section in a 1U chassis but it will not be easy...

As for a name, well we'll have to think about it...

actually someone suggested a name over there for another product. But i like that name for this one.

http://gilmore.chem....du/megatron.jpg

Only the RK27 will fit, both the RK50 and the dact are both much bigger.

i'm having trouble finding the datasheet for the quad, so if someone can find it.

otherwise the board has to get longer.

The pot is at the back near the inputs, and a shaft goes to the front. Same as the T2.

Edited by kevin gilmore

I believe he is now out of them for sale, with a few left for his own use. Besides, this looks like a mega amp with exceedingly high level of performance which deserves the "best" attenuators. Not saying that the Alpha is not good but this just deserves the top notch.

I believe he is now out of them for sale, with a few left for his own use. Besides, this looks like a mega amp with exceedingly high level of performance which deserves the "best" attenuators. Not saying that the Alpha is not good but this just deserves the top notch.

Well it has an RK27 in the latest board layout...

Understandable if Birgir has run out and it can't be used.

I'd be fine with the board getting a bit longer to fit an RK50 or DACT (I'll probably use the latter if its an option).

Love the name and I like where this build is heading.

Edited by Horio