Megatron Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier

kevin gilmore

Thanks for the info spritzer, I will keep that in mind my wallet recovers enough to consider rolling these tubes. I went digging around for 6ca7's on ebay and happened upon this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171112790336

He gave me a bit of a discount for purchasing 8 so I figured the price delta over the various reissues was worth my curiosity. Leaving the link here for anyone else interested.

• 2 weeks later...

everything is from antek except for the hv transformer, which is the hammond 269GX- 450V + a single 6.3 filament which seemed like a natural fit for the psu and front-end.

25VA / 2x6.3 x 3

25VA / 2x15 x1, based on the kgsshv requirements for the LV secondaries

I should be able to stack these to save some space and mitigate hum issues based on past experience. I was envisioning a one box build where the amp board sits on top via standoffs,with some kind of cage around it. Sounds pretty dumb in my head, but I'm no less averse to casework than when I did the kgsshv...

Now that would make Kevin truly furious...  :)  Did you ever see the inside pictures of that amp?  So he didn't want to spring for a +/-15V supply but the amp was filled with Z-foil resistors...  :palm:

Z foil resistors! Man, that would be more expensive than gold. Where the screws encrusted with diamonds?

A titanium knob, well I could see Kevin doing that :)

Edited by eggil

@KG - When are you gonna machine some of them demon core hand warmers? :P

(a more compact version of the original pictured here)

demon-core_zps86442ed0.jpg

You can see he is warming his left hand with the device.

It had a fatal flaw though, he slipped with the screwdriver and the 14 pound plutonium orb that was inside went critical.

He was walking dead after that. The experiment was known as "tickling the tail of the dragon".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

Edited by livewire

• 2 weeks later...

I did not realize base and collector are linked in the 1486 that sits alone.

After soldering, I thought I had created a bridge and removed the transistor.

Lesson: look at the schematic and a bare PCB if you have one to compare.

In the older PSU, they were connected by a trace. Now they are linked, and that makes it look like a solder bridge.

I'm mostly done with my stuff,waiting on the transformers. I haven't touched it in a while so I need to revisit it in detail for errors and such.

Also bought some mundorf supremes for coupling between input and output stages, any suggestions for other candidates I might use? Maybe I'll socket those spots...