Megatron Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier

kevin gilmore

I received a Megatron built by Søren Brix two days ago. Simply based on who had a Carbon available in stock at the time, I also bought Søren's Carbon.

I understand that head-case isn't really the place for 'listening impressions'. And, my grasp of audio engineering leaves much to be, uh, grasped. So I'll only note this:

I really, really like the Carbon, to the point that I'm now looking for a 007mki specifically to pair with the Carbon.  Before receiving the Megatron, I was pretty down on my x9000s, and I was buying into the negative reviews. The Carbon does not fit the x9000s, in my opinion.

I am no longer down about the x9000s, not one bit, because Megatron.

I don't dispute any of the negative opinions of x9000s--I don't have enough experience to agree or disagree--but I do believe I found the right amp to pair with x9000.

Perhaps most relevant for head-case is my 'listening impressions' of Soren. Soren has been, in a word, delightful. I'm not an easy person to deal with--Soren was patient, thoughtful, fair, and he gave low-bias recommendations (when begged). 

Soren prefers to use stock, non-boutique components. I have no idea whether that professional stance does or doesn't make a difference. I do know that Soren has a clear philosophy of work, and I grew to admire his reasons.

Thank you Kevin Gilmore for your design, and thank you Soren for bringing it into fruition.

Edited by Aspirant Audiophile
typo
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

so i posted this elsewhere because people really want to spend large amounts of money on an electrostatic amplifier that uses a pile of 300b.

this is the first of two.

Megatron xl  with 4 x 300b

Megatron xxl with 8 x 300b

Power supply #1   goldenreferencehv all solid state

Power supply #2   tube rectified lc filtered no regulation solid state regulated bias.

Power supply #3   tube rectified lc filtered 4 x 6l6gc fully regulated voltages. 300 volt tube rectified and 6bq5 regulated power supply. solid state regulated bias

high voltage rectifier tubes are gz34 (5ar4)  300v rectifier tube is ez81

I figure a megatronxxl with power supply #3 should come in at a retail built price of $40k

evidently one or more companies are making dc supplies that slam 7 amps into cold 300b resulting in tubes that don't last very long. so this will have a slow start quad 5v power supply board. the xxl will have 2 of these boards.

amp chassis will be about 14 x 14 x 4 inches. power supply box should be the same size.

the spice simulations indicate that minimum distortion is set at about 33ma, so this is likely to eat about 300 watts total power consumption.  distortion will end up about .01% at full voltage swing.

megatronxl.jpg

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Like 9

14 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

so i posted this elsewhere because people really want to spend large amounts of money on an electrostatic amplifier that uses a pile of 300b.

this is the first of two.

Megatron xl  with 4 x 300b

Megatron xxl with 8 x 300b

Will the stn9360 still be ok as a substitute for the 2sa1968?... it would be nice for the megatron 300B to use in production parts...

that section runs on 300 volts.  ksa1156 is in stock at mouser now. would work fine. i think the pinout is backwards from 2sa1968 so just rotate it around.

the emission labs tube with the octal base and the center tap filament would make things much easier but would limit the amp to those tubes. so its the standard 4 pin socket.

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Thanks 2

no RK50 option?

On 3/25/2023 at 5:44 AM, kevin gilmore said:

that section runs on 300 volts.  ksa1156 is in stock at mouser now. would work fine. i think the pinout is backwards from 2sa1968 so just rotate it around.

the emission labs tube with the octal base and the center tap filament would make things much easier but would limit the amp to those tubes. so its the standard 4 pin socket.

that is for the EML-only version 🥰

Maybe one can feed heater direct from the Traco? A small test showed that current starts at 4.2A, decreases below 3A in 2 – 3 seconds and below 1.5A after another 3 - 4 seconds.

Tested both a EML 20B-V4 and a 300B.

From Traco datasheet:             Output Current Limitation         120 - 200% of Iout max.
                                                                                                                              145% typ. of Iout max.

Edited by JoaMat

the idea is to make the environment for the stupidly expensive tubes as friendly as possible. there are rumors of 300b in one or more amplifier companies with an average tube life of 8 months. For something that should be 10,000 hour tubes.

my circuit limits the start current to 1.5 amps for 30 seconds.

• Like 3