Megatron Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier

kevin gilmore

oh I was referring to mounting the alpha pot itself, I have the shaft coupler and etc. There's just no room where I can reliably mount the pot. I can probably use a zip tie and one of the adhesive ziptie mounts but that seems like such a hackjob. 

If anyone has any pointers to non-motorized quad rk27's I'm all ears

oh I was referring to mounting the alpha pot itself, I have the shaft coupler and etc. There's just no room where I can reliably mount the pot. I can probably use a zip tie and one of the adhesive ziptie mounts but that seems like such a hackjob. 

If anyone has any pointers to non-motorized quad rk27's I'm all ears

one of my solutions : using the alpsquad PCB (http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/boards/alpsquad2.zip) and fixing it in the back of the face.

found this one yesterday, the 4 cathode caps for the outputs...

same deal with the power supply, they could possibly short to ground,

so either lift the caps a bit, or remove, put some kapton on the board

and put the caps back.

although no one has had this problem yet.

updated board file has this fixed.

I think most caps should be ok due to the rubber pad they sit on.  The snap in caps don't have this but still be careful. 

I think you might run into some problems with seven transformers inside the amp section.  :-   Ideally you should have two of them, each with two 6.3V windings just for the CCS tubes.  The rest should be in the PSU box.  Also EI cores are the worst when it comes to magnetic fields which is why I'm looking into R or O cores for this. 

I haven't had any problems with my cathode caps in the few hundred hours I put on my megatron prior to casing.

I think most caps should be ok due to the rubber pad they sit on.  The snap in caps don't have this but still be careful. 

I think you might run into some problems with seven transformers inside the amp section.  :-   Ideally you should have two of them, each with two 6.3V windings just for the CCS tubes.  The rest should be in the PSU box.  Also EI cores are the worst when it comes to magnetic fields which is why I'm looking into R or O cores for this. 

hm really, that blows. I think  at this point I just have to finish the build as is and evaluate how good/bad the performance is. What you're describing sounds like I need to hack up the PSU supply case and also use 2 umbilicals, 1 8-pin for AC and another 5-pin for DC, or something do that effect. Using toridals everywhere would also require a case change to mount things properly.

What problems do you forsee? I read a bit into how to orient the transformers properly but it pretty much went out the window due to the size constraints. 

Did anyone opt for HV wire ( > 600V rating) for the bias umbilical? I haven't had a problem historically but I've never made an external supply for this. navships has some 2kv-rated wire appropriate for this but I don't know it's totally necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

i got the wrong measure about the face`s thickness..... :-

yes,it is the 3mm carbon fiber. just using eight screws.

what you mean the accelerate...(sorry for my poor English.)

Carbon fiber on cars usual creates 50 extra horse power.

in other words, just a bad joke

In other Megatron news, has anyone given thought to replacing the 1.5k resistors with 10m90s parts? I was thinking it'd resemble a beta follower, and the parts cost is pretty insignificant compared to the rest of the build.

smaller board is always nice. this wiring is a straight nightmare, I have a mains short somewhere inside the amp

are you going to stuff this with supremes?

Mine will feature a double mains wiring with a separate voltage selector in the amp chassis.  Only way to do it properly. 

Yup, Supremes. 

• Like 1