Vodka: can you taste any differences?

Wmcmanus

Spoiler alert: I can't.

Compared some $5 and $10 bottles of vodka that have been in my liquor cabinet for at least 10 years to Grey Goose, and I'll be damned if I can tell the difference.

I had heard years ago that most people can't differentiate premium vodkas from something like Smirnoff, so I just Googled it. All kinds of funny articles about it where vodka snobs got shut down consistently, when drinking it naked/nude (whatever the hell they call it when you drink it straight). I especially liked the article where the tester poured the same vodka in 6 different glasses in the 3rd round of testing, and all of the participants were busy making inane comments about the differences. None of them even suspected that it was the same product in all glasses.

Edited by Wmcmanus

As with audio cables, you cannot assess differences in vodka on a blind test, you need to relaxedly and comfortably drink the whole bottle to realize how different they are. Also the rest of the system and environment are very important, glass, toaster, drinking temperature, ambient temperature, chair... you know, these things aren't that simple  >:D

There are certainly differences between grain and potato vodkas and I've tasted them.  Now, whether or not I could taste the difference between well and premium grain I have no idea.  I'd like to think I could as there certainly seems to be a difference when I drink a well drink compared to a decent one, but I'm not going to bother putting on a blindfold to see if I can.

I think so, but it's more of a 'tastes awful' vs. tastes clean and is smooth. So the better ones taste more like nothing to me. But then what's the point, right? I tend to drink less vodka these days, and then when I do, it's often mixed with something to give it flavor.

Not only can I tell the difference,  I could probably tell you which region and soil the potatoes were grown in.

Alrignt, no, I have no idea, haven't had vodka in a very long time, but I'm Russian, so I think I can.

I suspect the way I drink it (ice cold) reduces the differences.  I think I'd be better at it if they were warmed up somewhere between ice cold and room temperature.

Interesting, I'll have to grab a friend and do some blind tests. Sighted, it seems that the differences between potato vs. grain is significant, but even the variance among potato vodkas is large. Grain vodkas tend to be more similar, the worse ones being decidedly less smooth (i.e. making you wonder whether rubbing alcohol could be much worse). 

Lately, I've tried Chopin and Boyd & Blair, both potato vodkas. I like the Chopin (potato; ~ $38 @750mL, so not cheap) a whole lot. The B&B is bizarre; it doesn't taste like vodka. It reminds me more of Don Julio Blanco tequila than it does of other vodkas. I like Don Julio, but not sure I like this flavor in a vodka. I'd be surprised if the difference between either of these and a low-rung grain vodka (like Svedka, ick) wasn't readily apparent in a blind test. 

As for grain vodkas, I was never a big fan of Grey Goose; not that much better tasting (if at all) than cheaper vodkas, and thus overpriced. Absolut has been an ok go-to when nothing else is available. 

I feel that my opinion towards vodka quality largely depends on the mood I'm in. I started off my drinking adventures with pure vodka when I was 15 and I remember that any vodka tasted very good. It was like the best ones I've had now- with no taste of its own and only the fresh aftertaste that doesn't give you the usual shivers. Once I stole a bottle at a party and simultaneously ran and tried to drink as much as I could. Nowadays I can't imagine myself being able to do anything like that.

I think that the best I've had was imported from Moscow where they supposedly keep beluga bones in it. I could even drink it warm.

There's also the argument that not being able to tell the difference in commercially available vodkas has as much to do with the quality of (most of) said vodkas as does the palate of the drinker.

I did a double blind test on many popular vodkas, but because the testing methodology was so flawed essentially I concluded that the vodkas I liked were the vodkas I don't usually like.

Failed experiments aside, I like Nemiroff Honey and Pepper vodka, and did kinda like 3, which probably means I'm partial to things that burn like a flamethrower. Luksusowa is pretty good too, very smooth.

Can I taste the differences in Vodkas? Yep.. but I have really trained my palate to distinguish very minute differences in whisky.. I am not much of a vodka drinker, but my favorite so far has been a 100 proof release from Stillwater distillery in Petaluma (super clean), and the Nevada Vodka from Las Vegas Distillery (has a new spirit taste I like).

And where does everyone rank Crystal Head vodka?  Yes, I know that's the basis of the infamous red vodka, but I can't help but remember Dan Aykroyd's description, which sounds like they went through a lot of trouble trying to get it right, so I'd appreciate some serious answers.  I still haven't tried it yet, myself.

The original red vodka at Chicago CanJam was not Crystal Head.  It was either Stoli or Absolut, I think.  For MOA II, I bought a bottle and added some red food coloring as a joke.  I don't think it tasted all that good when I drank it (sans coloring) and its rep is not strong iirc.