Bluetooth Headphones with Home Theater AVR?

The Monkey

So I just got my home theater setup and I 'm still trying to figure out how the fuck to use it.  One thing I'd like to do is be able to use wireless bluetooth headphones for when the Little Monkey is sleeping.  But, to my knowledge, my AVR does not have a BT transmitter built in.

What's the best way for me to accomplish this goal?

So I just got my home theater setup and I 'm still trying to figure out how the fuck to use it.  One thing I'd like to do is be able to use wireless bluetooth headphones for when the Little Monkey is sleeping.  But, to my knowledge, my AVR does not have a BT transmitter built in.

What's the best way for me to accomplish this goal?

Turtle Beach XP400 doesn't totally suck for watching movies and games wirelessly - it has a transmitter that connects to an optical S/PDIF for dolby digital, and the headset can connect at the same time to the transmitter and to a bluetooth phone or PS3 for chatting.  For Xbox 360 it comes with a dongle to connect to the controller so that it connects to the Xbox chat wirelessly too.  My son got one for Xmas, and I found one at 1saleaday for $99 so I jumped on it for myself.  Otherwise it's about $200.

PS:  In my bedroom I've been using a Motorola DC800 BT transmitter (RCA input) with the Motorola S705 BT pendant which I plug my own headphones into, and it's worked well to watch TV without bothering the wife.  So that's another option, although I think I'll be using the XP400 more when it arrives.  

One issue I have with my current setup is that when I feed the S705 pendant into a nicer amp then I get a little too much noise to enjoy it if I leave the charger plugged into the pendant (ground loop, etc). Unplugged I the battery lasts long enough to watch TV for hours, but I often forget to plug it back in.  In addition, the output of the BT S705 pendant isn't really high enough to use as a preamp to feed into another amp, unless you like to cramp up the nicer amp to make up for low source voltage.  Unfortunately I often forget to turn the amp volume back down and when I switch to another source I get blasted.

You can use the DC800 transmitter with any BT headset and it can act as a receiver too, so you could use two of the DC800 and feed the thing into a nicer amp (bypassing the BT pendant).  The DC800 uses a std mini-USB charger like the BT pendant.

• Like 1