Schiit Mjolnir

tkam

Has anyone here heard Schiit's balanced amp the Mjolnir?  Looks interesting and apparently puts out more than enough power to drive any headphone.  I'm thinking of starting my headphone rig over from scratch - most likely with the LCD-3 phones.

I tried it at RMAF 2012 with some LCD-3 that Schiit provided at their table, and with my HE-500.  I thought it sounded fantastic with the LCD-3 but it was slightly bright with my HE-500 + silver dragon cable.  Not sure why, but someone suggested that it was the Schiit balanced DAC that sounds bright (I suppose the LCD-3 are a little darker than my HE-500 with silver dragon cable?).  

It certainly seems like a bargain for the price, and actually reminded me a little of a more spacious and punchier sounding version of a DACmini which I prefer with my LCD-2 over the HE-500.

I have it, but haven't had time to really listen, it's not hooked up at this moment (still listening to my Stax).

Initial listen with the NuWave DAC and balanced Senn 580's showed real good promise, though, the music had me toe-tapping some.  Detail, dynamics, some space, but not a big loss in musicality seemed to be the norm.  

Recently just picked up a balanced AKG 701, it's able to eek out some decent bass from them.  But something didn't seem quite exactly right to me with that match, need to listen more.

But due to room work, the whole system is offline at the moment.  Hope to have it hooked up again next weekend.....

OK, hooked up the Mjolnir again last night, did some listening then and again tonight.

System:

Panny DVD player --> PS Audio NuWave --> Mjolnir --> either Senn 580's with Zu balanced cables or AKG K702 rewired with balanced Mogami

Comparison system (yes, apples to oranges):

Another Panny DVD --> Micromega MyDAC --> Marantz 1090 integrated --> Spritzer-built Lundahl Transformer Box --> Lambda Pro's

So all the stuff I said about the NuWave in that source thread stays true: space, detail, a bit warm (Carl called it slightly dark, I could potentially agree: some warmth combined with large space sounds a bit dark).

But even with the warmth of the NuWave, the Mjolnir sounded a bit forward with the AKG's.  It extracted some very good bass out of them, but I noticed some very slight glare in Karen Carpenter's voice (Carpenters Gold, XRCD).  Switching to the Senn 580's lessened that glare a lot, but at the expense of some loss of detail.  I'm looking forward to getting the Senn 600's from Nate to try them, and might even have to get the 650's again.

Again, just a very brief listen, on this CD and also using Coil - Stolen and Contaminated Songs (freaky shit).  But my short impressions are that this amp will be detailed, energetic but fairly smooth, and pass on many of the traits of the source in front of it.  I've never heard the LCD-3's, so can't comment on potential matches; but I've heard the LCD-2 latest rev driven by the Bryston headphone amp, and I think it would sound a bit similar.  Maybe the Mjolnir a bit less brash.  FWIW, I liked the LCD-2 and Bryston combo a fair bit.

Now....all that said......

I listened to the same 2 CD's on the other system, and fuck if it was just more musical and fun!  Even with that cheap Micromega MyDAC, driving through a vintage amp and a transformer-based Stax driver....when Karen Carpenter sang to me, she was so smooth she was licking my ears!  Not the last word for spaciousness, but lovely mids for those vocals, and still fun & dynamic.  I remember why I love the Lamda's so much.

I know the Micromega has been getting FOTM treatment in some places, but this could be something that almost lives up to the hype.  For less then $400 it's got REALLY well-balanced sound.  Is it as smooth and spacious and yet detailed as the NuWave?  No....but it ranks high on the fun factor, and even does hi-fi pretty darn well.

Sorry for stealing a bit of Mjolnir time in the post, but had to call that out.

Edited by skullguise

• 2 years later...

FUCK! I hate FedEx, I live in a mixed commercial/residential building, so I place a sign on the front door telling the FedEx robot my door is on the side of the building the FedEx robot instead of coming to the side door (which also had a sign on it indicating this was in fact the correct door for the delivery) put the missed delivery door tag on the sign on the front door that asked the robot to go to the side door. 

Rant over - impression of the Schiit will have to wait until said robot can deliver the amp to the nearest FedEx store - holding my breath on this one