Microsoft Surface Pro WTF

• 2 weeks later...

I went over to Best Buy to check out the Surface Pro.  Unfortunately, the stylus was already stolen so I couldn't try out how smooth it writes/draws.   I guess I should have realized that anything not bolted down at BB could not possibly last longer than a day.  I ask the guy if they have another one, he tells me that you don't need it because it has touch capability.  Then I proceed to tell him how the pen digitizer is different from the capacitive touch.... needless to say, he was not interested in the different technologies.  He just says, here is a stylus (one that works with capacitive touch).  Then I go around the store looking to see if they have any Wacom pens, which they don't and eventually leave.  Sigh.  Next time I will bring my own pen.  

Other than that, the screen is nice and it seems pretty zippy. 

I really like it. Makes me want to get an RT for myself but of course that doesn't have the pen screen. I don't really have any use for one (work will never allow me to do anything useful on it).

I'm getting a close to TOTL 15" i7 laptop for work though which will be nice though I will not be able to attach even surf the web on it. Hopefully it doesn't weigh too much.

• 3 months later...

I bought one but sent it back before opening it. I read complaints of the pen calibration being off (even after calibrating the pen) and when I tried it at Best Buy, it was way off (but probably not calibrated). i have a couple of friends who have one and like it. I am just sticking to my ancient Motion Computing LE 1700 (which is not a touch screen but I don't really need that feature as much as the pen).

I'd expect it to start in mobile devices

Right, but I expect them to release the retail motherboards and cpus first. When the devices show up, yeah, I'll expect the mobile devices to come first :)

Edited by Nebby

The desktop version of Haswell has an increase in performance over Ivy Bridge while using less power, that's enough to perk the interest of enthusiasts since less power draw means less heat. On the flip side the Ivy Bridge packaging method isn't particularly great for overclocking and it's said that they used the same system in Haswell.

Still, the number of enthusiasts is miniscule compared to the market for portable devices

I guess we'll see how it goes on release date. I know enthusiast sites already have final or near-final samples of motherboards and cpus for review and it's fairly plausible that there will be reviews out after the NDA lifts. On the flip side I haven't heard any rumblings of portable devices other than Intel's own demo unit a while back.

• 2 months later...