Out of print digital transfer downloads

ironbut

Any of you guys who have an interest in acoustic or early electrical recordings like I do, might find the downloads that Amoeba have made available interesting.

If you don't know what I mean about acoustic recordings, they are from the era of recording when acoustic horns were used before the invention and/or the general use of microphones or electric amplifiers.

The musicians had to gather around a horn and play loudly so the vibrations at the small end of the horn could "cut" the record master or wax cylinder.

This made the recordings of large ensembles (such as an orchestra) difficult and in many instances, instruments were replaced by ones which were capable of producing the sound levels that were needed to be heard (such as tubas for double basses). Late in the acoustic era, RCA built domed sound stages which allowed a more conventional ensemble layouts.

The development of electric microphones, amplifiers and proper lathes greatly improved the sound quality but perhaps more importantly, it reduced the need for musical compromise that was needed to adapt to acoustic recording limitations.

There is a question of whether Amoeba has the "rights" to sell these recording and from what I can see, they don't.

So, if you're interested, buy them now before someone takes Amoeba to task.

http://www.amoeba.com/music/vinyl-vaults/#page-1

Another interesting site is Dust to Digital. If you're not familiar with the earliest sound recording, Patrick Feaster's work is worth a look.

http://www.dust-digital.com/