I need moar/better space rock/post rock

Dusty Chalk

I've been finding myself more and more unsatisfied by the post-rock scene, which seems to be the one area keeping the space-rock flag raised, what with both Riverside's and Antimatter's recent changes in direction.  So make me some suggestions.  What I'm looking for is that patient approach to music that songs like "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (starting at part one), "Echoes", Talk Talk's "The Rainbow", etc.

I recommended it before a long time ago and the sound of crickets deafened me, but you have to try Kauan.  It's not exactly space rock, but it's got lots of spacey elements and BUTTLOADS of atmosphere.

This has to be right up your alley.

To be honest, I have always been bored with the vast majority of the post-rock scene.  It always sounded like a one trick pony (but that's me).

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Hehe:  

Disperse is very hard to obtain legally.  I had to "acquire" it to even hear the damn thing.  I ordered a copy here after much searching:  http://disperse.bigcartel.com/product/journey-through-the-hidden-gardens

It's their own sales site.  I have not gotten my copy yet, but I will update if I do.

Their next album, which I already pre-ordered, will be MUCH easier to get, since they have now signed to Season of Mist: http://e-shop.season-of-mist.com/en/items/disperse/living-mirrors/cd/33794

Edit:  DAMMIT!  SOM apparently has copies of the debut album now: http://e-shop.season-of-mist.com/en/items/disperse/journey-through-the-hidden-gardens/cd-digipack/34153

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Yeah, that was during my time off from Head-Case, I (strongly) suspect.  I never went back and reviewed every thread, but probably should have in the music forum at least.

Season of Mist!  They rawk.  Arcturus, Atheist, new Cynic, Esoteric.

Oh, and it cracks me up that they're Russian but sing in Finnish -- that's so metal. \mm/

An update to the order I placed for the Disperse debut album using the strikethrough link:  the person who ran that page was the former bassist of the band.  I was promptly refunded the order cost.  Since he is no longer with the band, orders through that link will fall into the ether.  Apparently he forgot about my order  :laugh:

Anyhoo, Dusty, if you ever want to order the debut album, make sure to go though the SOM link at the bottom of my last post.  I'm about to.

And yeah, Finnish is WAY more metal than Russian ;)

To be honest, I have always been bored with the vast majority of the post-rock scene.  It always sounded like a one trick pony (but that's me).

Same. Got so sick of the crescendo/decrescendo core.

I am however still a huge fan of the band Grails.

Also the recent Earth stuff is not too bad. Not something I come back to frequently though.

...crescendo/decrescendo core...

Lollers.

Not me, that's pretty much exactly what I mean by 'spacey'.

I won't argue that a lot of it sounds similar, though.  I think that's mostly because they improvise without following an arrangement, and the easiest way to do that is to stick with one key (I.E. no chordal progressions).

Also that Cure guitar sound.  A lot of post-rock seems to have it.  Someone pointed that out to me, and for the next two days, everything I played seemed to have it.