Synology NAS

Not really needed as long as the drive is SMART capable and SMART is enabled.  If SMART lists a lot of reallocated sectors on a drive I'll consider replacing it because that's a very good sign that the drive is going to be dead soon.  This is in addition to relying on the raid array to mark dead/dying drives as failed.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really needed as long as the drive is SMART capable and SMART is enabled.  If SMART lists a lot of reallocated sectors on a drive I'll consider replacing it because that's a very good sign that the drive is going to be dead soon.  This is in addition to relying on the raid array to mark dead/dying drives as failed.

That's what I use as well and it's really what I meant by diagnostics. I also personally like to proactively run a burn in test on new drives using badblocks (or any program that'll systematically read/write every block on a drive), I've found that prunes out any drives that inevitably end up with an early death.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it has been helpful. So I finally decided on the 1512+ since it is way more than I need now by itself and when I need to expand in 2 years, I can add a 5 bay expansion unit. I'm definitely going to take my time and make sure I set everything up right. I bought a new gigabit switch that is compliant with the link aggregation capability of the NAS and will switch out all Ethernet cables to and from the switch with Cat6. Also bought a dedicated UPS for the unit. Should be plenty fast enough as my main concern is reliability and constancy of data access. Currently have 2 WD red 3Tb HDDs and have just ordered 4 more. 15 Tb should be a good start.

Oh, and the 2 HDDs came from Newegg and each drive was bubble wrapped, put in its own box and then the two boxes were packed in a larger shipping box. Looked good but I have not tested them yet. Anyone have a MAC or Windows counterpart to badblocks? Not going to mess with Linux.

• 2 weeks later...

Newegg drive packaging is usually pretty bad - the only way to guarantee good packing is if you get 5 or more at a time, then usually they'll just re-use the original packing from the HD manufacturer.

In this case I ordered 5 and they cut a section of the original packing from the HD manufacturer. Last time around they sent 5 with the full crate and box, which is perfect. This time around they didn't :(

Latest shipment of drives from newegg was significantly worse in packaging:

if4jky8l.jpg

The side that was basically resting on the box had a couple of popped bubbles, so we'll see how well these drives fare though a break-in session.

They must not like you :D. My drives were packaged about like yours but with a lot more bubble wrap and they were enclosed with paper padding on all sides. So definitely a step down from the previous packaging, but not really bad.

• 7 months later...