Sound Proofing

tkam

Thanks anyway, Ken. I don't want to mess with construction related things since it most likely requires knocking down and/or putting up drywall, condo approval, time and effort, etc etc. No one has come barging to my door ranting about how loud I am... yet, so I'm thinking just a few room treatments that can attenuate a few dB and suck up some reflections would be enough for now. I don't hear much from their side of things, mainly dog barks and hammering. 

It's like telling an F1 driver who has a very small track with insufficient room for an F1 that when he has to practice on that track, to practice driving a Toyota Yaris.

As an alternative, our house has 8" thick plaster walls and cement layers in the floors and ceilings. It blocks sound really well, so you could do that.

What do you know about whether or not I have insufficient room, what my walls are made out of, their thickness, my violin, my hearing, my neighbors, or anything else? Fuck off if you don't want to give real advice. 

Holy shit it got real heated in here really quick.  :kitty:

Ok Mr Perlman, rent out the Kennedy Center and practice there.

The whole idea of my post is you don't need to rent out a giant concert hall to be able to practice. People who have clearly never stepped into or even looked into a practice room at a conservatory are not qualified to comment on practice space size. 

As per usual, MPI can't keep his shit together for more than a few days at HC and acts like a cunt out of nowhere.  Maybe you should ask to have the thread deleted while you're at it.

How the fuck did I act like a cunt out of nowhere? His first suggestion was to play on a 5 stringed plastic piece of crap, and his second was to install a 8" plaster wall in a condo. If that isn't trolling, I don't know what is. 

then you don't know what is, and you immediately jumped to being a cunt bag.

There have been lots of suggestions, and then a temper tantrum where you suggest that how dare anyone treat you like anything less than a superstar.  So go fuck yourself and your un-earned sense of entitlement.

• Like 1

Do you remember that this is Head-Case.org as opposed to uptightselfimportantviolinistcunts.com, right?

Doug's first suggestion was either a genuine suggestion to use a silent practice violin when necessary or just a little humor.  Either one was harmless and required no response if you aren't interested.

Your first response was an entitled and self-important jab for no good reason at all.

Doug made an appropriately direct response to your idiotic analogy and a fully justified snarky comment about 18" plaster walls that was knowingly irrelevant to your condo.

Your next response was an over the top cunty tantrum that was ludicrous and reminiscent of your last exit from Head-Case.  Don't let the door hit your punk ass on the way out.

• Like 2

then you don't know what is, and you immediately jumped to being a cunt bag.   There have been lots of suggestions, and then a temper tantrum where you suggest that how dare anyone treat you like anything less than a superstar.  So go fuck yourself and your un-earned sense of entitlement.
  I have taken all reasonable suggestions into account. I have ignored all unreasonable ones.    Where did anything about treating me like a superstar take place at all, until you somehow conjured it up? Anyone even slightly more advanced than a beginner (I'm talking middle schoolers) would take offense when someone tells them to swap out their instrument for a 5 stringed piece of plastic. I sucked it up and chalked it up to naive helpfulness. Then he suggested to put up 8" thick plaster walls in a condo. Whatever happened to people here being thick skinned? You guys can't take a simple disclaimer-laden fuck off anymore? Whatever, I know you're all buddies in the club so there's no way you would take an unbiased point of view. I guess there's no point in me being here anymore.