high quality balanced DAC (small-ish, lightweight a plus)

justin

I have never liked the sound of the Benchmark DAC1 and yet Ric is right that I was also impressed the DAC2 HGC.  Very good sound and handles a lot of formats and inputs.  No SD or USB stick input directly, but maybe some external device can allow such connections to the USB input?

The seriously impressive sounding device was the Playback Designs MPD-5.  The MPS-5 version also has a CD/SACD player that would be super sweet, but not smaller or lighter than your Sony monster. 

What is Dinny's DAC?

What is the difference between the + and non+ version?  

Going from their product blurb, supposedly it's got a better DAC and an even better analog output stage:

As a Big Brother to the MS II, the HRT Music Streamer II+ does exactly the same job as its less expensive sibling, but is outfitted with a higher quality Digital-to-Analog converter (DAC) and a much more sophisticated analog output stage.

http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/music-streamer-ii-plus

No sign from Parasound or Google. Maybe. I'd be curious if anyone has successfully played back files from a USB Flash drive.

I have Ric. It works flawlessly.

EDIT: Shit! Sorry, I was confused. It's the Zcd that I've used the flash drive with. 

Edited by swt61

Get the "cheap" MSB dac for a nice compliment to the BHSE.  :)  The USB inputs are not cheap (even my dealer complains about his price) but the best I've ever tried. 

Never really looked at MSB stuff before, but it looks like they really like offering lots of upgrades eh? :P