Electrocompaniet ECD-2

shellylh

A bit OOT, my experience with all those DAC I've listened to, I came to conclusion that lately in general European Audio house usually prefer a more warmish/musical approach (I've auditioned this and Ayon) whilst Asian (tried Calyx Femto, Eximus DP-1) and US (Meitner, AR8) prefer a more clinical, neutrality approach.......

Maybe a flawed conclusion but I'd like to throw this to all of you for discussion sake........

• 3 weeks later...

also after 3 weeks going back and forth between my current dac (neko) and this, i conclude that the neko still superior......so im fucked.....this dac going back to its box and storage......

pray that i can unload this......made a wrong decision/impulse purchase......

One caveat, I auditioned both this DAC on speaker setup AND on different setup. There's a lot that can be differ there if it comes to headphone.

One weakness so far for the ECD, the USB section only support up to windows 7. My laptop is on windows 8. Hopefully the release the driver soon.

And I should've hunted for the ECD-1 instead.......could've save me lots of money but this brand is quite a rarity down here

Was CD transport used or computer/USB for the comparison?  

Both the Meitner and ECD-2 use the XMOS USB board, which is also present in my home DAC.  

Both was CD transport........

what would be the effect on the use of XMOS ? Is it resulted on a better sound ? All I know is this chip is used on the application that has to do with signal conversion. I found its used a lot on the usb/spdif converter.......

Edited by forbigger

Both was CD transport........

what would be the effect on the use of XMOS ? Is it resulted on a better sound ? All I know is this chip is used on the application that has to do with signal conversion. I found its used a lot on the usb/spdif converter.......

XMOS seems to be the favored USB board these days, especially on "high end" DAC's.  Personally, I think it could and should be much improved.  For example, it is still powered by computer's USB BUS power, and it is still only USB to spdif converter, which then feeds in to DAC's spdif receiver, no I2S.  

Considering all that, it's actually amazing it sounds as decent as it does.  Somebody should mod it to use its own power supply/battery and take I2S straight to DAC.  

• 3 months later...

i'm going to unload this. before i post it at here or over at HF for sale, can someone here help to clarify if this thing can be re-wired to 110? No voltage switch at the back. Mine is 230v. Reason I ask this is because I will travel to US end of this year. If any prospective US buyer is willing to take this ,I can bring it with me. But if not then I wont carry it with me, Shipping would cost arm and leg frm my country so its not an option. This thing potentially weight around 30-40lbs with its box

XMOS seems to be the favored USB board these days, especially on "high end" DAC's.  Personally, I think it could and should be much improved.  For example, it is still powered by computer's USB BUS power, and it is still only USB to spdif converter, which then feeds in to DAC's spdif receiver, no I2S.  

Considering all that, it's actually amazing it sounds as decent as it does.  Somebody should mod it to use its own power supply/battery and take I2S straight to DAC.  

XMOS usb2 audio board has i2s output. 

@birgir -  Thanks, will do it as soon as I have time. The weight of the DAC is 18lbs, plus box can easily go to 23-25.....put into the EMS calculation, roughly will cost $700 just to ship to US...... :palm: :palm:

Edit : just took it off from the rack and dismantled it. Try to open it but the they're using some kind of T screw......alas I dont have it. Some unconventional size too....

Edited by forbigger