Olive One

morphsci

Been interested in their players, but price has always been an obstacle. Interesting they're going crowd sourcing now (and much lower price).

That was always my opinion also. Nice, but overpriced hardware and a good software platform. I have been teetering but will probably spring for one to give it a shot. I had high hopes for the squeezeboxes but Logiterd killed them. These guys remind me of the Squeezebox group in terms of their passion. Hopefully they will not sell out.

Edited by morphsci

Colin - If you want to control the player with a tablet or phone and don't need the Squeezebox's display, there's the VAMP. It's an open source SB player clone. Plays hi-res straight out of the "box" (it's slightly DIY) and costs about $30.  Doesn't have WiFi. That adds another $30. And its output is USB, so if you might need a USB to S/PDIF converter.  There's a tread at Vortexbox.org.

I'm interested to see where the Olive goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else buy a ONE?  I pre-ordered/crowdfunded/whatever mine late last night.  They passed the $500K mark, so were offering a free upgrade to the drive-based unit and I took the plunge. 

It apparently supports hi-rez playback and has a digital output, and controllable via iOS, Android, and even WP8 apps they are working on!

I want this to replace my modded Sonos.