Formula 1 Thread

ironbut

• 1 month later...

After years of watching the race going underneath the Etihad bridge at Abu Dabi, I finally searched Etihad to find out what it's all about.

I'm sure I don't want to know how much a ticket costs on the airline, but it's kinda fun to dream about spending some time in The Residence!

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/experience-etihad/flying-reimagined/the-residence/

• 2 months later...

PreSeason in Barcelona starts Monday but teams will start unveiling livery Friday.

Hoping for a more interesting races and there is a shit load of smoke to clear.

Fingers crossed for the guys at Haas!

And while I loved the return of Mexico City last season, the street course in Baku ( billed as the European GP after the Canadian in June) looks like it should be interesting (cobblestones?).

• 4 weeks later...

Most companies don't develop all the car. They are American because Haas is from US and the company is US based. 

https://www.haasf1team.com/genehaas

I really liked the race - lots of racing up and down the pole.. 

The Qualification session was kind of a joke - sounds like they will be changing it. 

... and holy SH*T the crash - glad to be alive... 

Edited by mikeymad

Loved it!

Exciting race (too exciting for Alonzo!). Those Toro boys sure entertained!

I was delighted to see the FIA get their noses rubbed in it for breaking the "if it don't stink don't stir it" axiom. Not that it'll keep them from doing again and again and...

Great to see Haas do so well. Amazing really!

Looking forward to more!

Edited by ironbut

A bright opening round although once again the Italians screwed up the strategy call. The car seems to be there, but the brains aren't yet.

And a nice job by Haas. An even better job by the FIA safety regs for letting Fernando walk away from the scariest crash I've seen since Kubica's massive crash in Canada years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Yup!

I sure love the looks of those "day to night" desert races!

I have to wonder if those fireworks should wait till the last racing car crosses the finish though.

Haas is like a dream come true. I never woulda believed it!

It's good to see the hybrids starting to make track records.

I like the extra action that the 3rd tire compound adds. I hope that's the last of that "new" qualy we have to live through.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Missed talking about the carnage that was Sochi!

Sometimes those wild and wooly races are just what the Dr. ordered.

Speaking of,..

Barcelona was quite a race. I never thought that I'd be glad to see Helmut Marko smiling especially after he shuffled Kvyat off to the "B" team. But there it is!

I'm sure there will be tons of press on Hamilton v Rosberg. Shades of Vettel v Webber IMHO.

Still, I guess I've come to grips with the 'hybrids'. It seems like this is the year that they'll be smashing all the speed records (Kimi won't like that).

And speaking of Kimi, it seems like this years Ferrari is more of his kind of car. Or maybe Seb has discovered girls or drugs or life outside of F1 (if Lewis can?).

FIA is searching around for a way to make F1 more profitable/popular.

I say, take the limits off of testing and let the designers design!

Without it, F1 is just another racing series in exotic locations.

This year the races are being a lot more fun. Not that any team can really defeat Mercedes unless their drivers crash one into the other :palm: but there's plenty of action behind them.

Seb is a good driver when he has the best car, but when he doesn't he's more prone to loss his temper than other drivers. I don't like the way he comments on the radio when other pilots try to overtake him. He's not the mother queen.

The problem in letting the engineers to do their job and freeing testing is that the expenses would increase, which not all teams can afford. We might be facing a competition with just 3 or 4 teams, which perhaps wouldn't be so fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed Monaco this year. The rain and wet track amplified the smallest mistakes and I was sorry to see Kimi and Verstappen go out early but it was fun to watch the strategies play out.

I have to say that the virtual pace car is an awesome addition!

And while I'm a "it's all about the race" kind of fan, I hope that the glitz, glamour and the royal box will always be a part of Grand Prix racing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Canada may not have been the most exciting race but I find the back stories to be great.

Ferrari really seems like they're just about there.

Red Bull it back in the thick of things and even McLaren seems to be coming along.

I'm totally looking forward to Baku this weekend!

Agreed Steve - there seems to be a lot of 'managing the race' going on. But the series is kind of built that way with all the restrictions. So we end up with a lot of races that may not be the most exciting to watch but all the little things that are going on season long makes the soap opera called F1 worth the ride. I have to admit I have backed off on my watching - I still watch the race, but I use to watch the complete P2 and Quali coverage as well. One, I am shorter on time than I was in the last few years, but also there is a lot less drama and entertainment factor in the lead-up than I found in the past. Maybe I should pick an upcoming race and watch the entire weekend covereage - see if the ol spark is there. 

• 3 weeks later...